Output gain structure of source?

sunder

Hi friends, I need a clarification on gain structure of source and pre amp.

For an example: output voltage of a cdp or dac is 2volt more or less.

In some dacs that is differ. In Promitheous dac, there is selectable gain

structure of 1.25volt-2.2v &4v. But in some preamps there is 'input trim'

control to adjust the input gain. Here, should we put minimum &maximum

at where? Should we minimise at the source and maximise at the preamp?

which is the proper way? High gain render SQ? But I feel that high gain

cause some congestion. Please clarify. Thank you.

Regards.

sunder.

sundar, my 2c. i believe high/low gain is relevant from a amp-speaker point of view and depending on the power of the amp and the sensitivity of the speaker you need to adjust the gain.

eg i used to run a wadia 12 DAC into a sugden amp/JMR speaker. the sensitivity of the speaker was so high that i had to put the volume control at 7/8 o clock for pretty loud sound. and i thought i lost out on microdynamics (although did not know it then) . am sure with a less sensitive speaker it would have made a great combination.

i guess one way of figuring this out might just be to put everything on the lowest gain and play it. then switch the pre to high gain to see if you perceive an increase in dynamics or of noise and "Congestion" etc..

sundar, my 2c. i believe high/low gain is relevant from a amp-speaker point of view and depending on the power of the amp and the sensitivity of the speaker you need to adjust the gain.

eg i used to run a wadia 12 DAC into a sugden amp/JMR speaker. the sensitivity of the speaker was so high that i had to put the volume control at 7/8 o clock for pretty loud sound. and i thought i lost out on microdynamics (although did not know it then) . am sure with a less sensitive speaker it would have made a great combination.

i guess one way of figuring this out might just be to put everything on the lowest gain and play it. then switch the pre to high gain to see if you perceive an increase in dynamics or of noise and "Congestion" etc..

Thank you arj, yes I reduce the gain by 1 volt with the 'input trim' control.

Though the dynamics are little less,now the lows are much deeper & highs

are so sweet. For late night listening, that time I increase the voltage for

low volume dynamics. But ,if the output impedance of the source is lesser

than 30 Ohms, we can enjoy much!

Regards.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back