Panasonic 42XT50 Plasma - Power OFF Issue

abhinavsri01

Hi everybody

I have a Panasonic 42XT50 Plasma purchased some 3 years back. Now, I'm having a peculiar problem with my TV.

If I switch off the TV from Mains, the TV can again be switched on after about 24 hrs. That is, if I try to switch on the TV before that, It will not Power on.

I experienced the same problem about 10 months back & at that time on contacting the Panasonic Customer Service, I was told that this happens if there is a POwer pike or something & is for safeguarding the TV. But on telling them that this is happening on its own, without any power spikes, I was told that the Main Power board may be faulty & should be changed.

I got the same changed & paid about 10000 bucks for it but now again the same problem has emerged.

Any pointers from you guys would be beneficial as I'm not sure what nect step should I take.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards
Abhinav

I think you should call the CC again and tell them last repair was unsatisfactory and tell to repair free of cost this time.

If they say no , then ask for replacement of TV itself , provided its still under warranty.

My plasma also went bust after 4+ years.

The TV is now out of warranty. the 3 years on panel has also expired now.:sad:

The issue is that the TV is working fine provided I do not switch off the power from Mains.:cool:

The thing is I'm not sure if it is the actual problem of the power board or is there some other small part such as a timer which has gone kaput.

It seems some capacitor issue in power supply board or else in PCB. I experienced similar issue in Dell Monitor. It used to start after 3-5 hrs and then work once started.
Then opened it, looked for all small and big cylindrical components, electrolyte capacitor. In one place, these guys used 16V capacitor for 25V rail. That leaked. After replacement, it is working for last 2 years.
Please do this with expert around, if you don't have hands on electronics.

It seems some capacitor issue in power supply board or else in PCB. I experienced similar issue in Dell Monitor. It used to start after 3-5 hrs and then work once started.
Then opened it, looked for all small and big cylindrical components, electrolyte capacitor. In one place, these guys used 16V capacitor for 25V rail. That leaked. After replacement, it is working for last 2 years.
Please do this with expert around, if you don't have hands on electronics.

Thanks for ur reply. I also feared the same thing the last time it went kaput. But the Service center guy insisted that power board cannot be repaired & has to be replaced.
Though I'm no expert with electronics & thus my hesitation in opening it by myself.:eek:hyeah:

Yes, Service centre guys are trained to do that. They are mainly card technicians. Even if just one minuscule component goes bad, they'll change the entire board and charge you for the entire board. Fun part is that they won't leave 'Faulty' board at your place because of some company 'Policy'. Service centre guy would take it to company and in-house technicians at company service centres, who are mostly seasoned, component level technicians, will change the faulty component, this way faulty board comes back to life and finally it will be installed as a replacement board in some other TV and hapless owner of that TV will pay the entire cost of that board. This is downright rip-off but don't get heartburn, almost all electronic companies do this. In your case, since your TV is out of warranty, I would suggest, find a seasoned, component level, no-frill technician in your neighborhood or look at the next block or next to next block, you'll find one. With the help of a such technician, your TV will come back to life, without changing the entire board.

Last edited:
Correct, I have seen this. Mostly all MOSFETs and high current diodes, all are attached to heatsinks are culprits.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back