Panny TH-P60S60 or Sammy PS64F8500 : Which one to buy

Dushie

Hi
Creating this thread as i have been going through multiple threads and posts.
My Story goes like this, i was one of the first guys to buy a 58" Sammy on the forum way back in Sep 2010. Couple of months back the USB and lan ports stopped working. Logged a call with Samsung and they said PCB needs to be replaced which would cost 5.3k including service total cost 7.5k. I said ok go ahead with it, they said they will look at parts availability and revert back. A week later the engineer called me said part is not available anywhere in India.
I escalated the issue, it went to samsung head office in Noida. They took time for couple of days checked globally and came back saying that the part is not available. Only option left now is to go for a buy back offer where they are buying the tv back @ 33% depreciation.

Currently in the market i came across only 2 models of Plasma that are suiting my requirements. First is the P60S60 which would cost around 1.10-1.15 in the market is a non 3d and a regular tv with wifi and usb ports. Other is the high end 64f8500 which is costing around 1.9 lakhs + in the market and comes with free soundbar.

I will get around 1 lakh from Samsung under buyback, now i am stuck should i invest more from my pocket and go for a 64" Sammy or buy the Panasonic 60s60 which is cheaper.
I have read lot of feedback in the forum on sammy 64" but not much on Panny 60S60 though few people have bought the same. It would be great if the Panny owners can share feedback on the 60S60.

I do not have much light in my room and have good control over the same.I use WD tv live for watching Netflix and playing other HD content or movies on my tv. Also 3D is not a must as i do not watch much 3d content on my tv.

I know now you guys would say if i am using WDTV i can continue to use my existing set as it works great no issues. But the only risk is if tomorrow something else goes wrong in the PCB there is no part available and Samsung will offer buyback again but depreciation would go up to 49% once the Tv is between 3 to 4 years and post 5 years they do not have a buy back scheme.So i don't want to take a risk and loose more money. I do have my old samsung 42" plasma bought way back in 2005 doing an excellent job at home from the last 8 years without any issues.

Please feel free to advise and suggest considering in mind that i would not want to go for any low size 55" tv as it does not suit my needs, anything bigger than 58" is good for me. I would buy the TV around Diwali and have time till then to find the best deal and buy the best tv for the bang.

Last edited:
avoid panasonic because their business model is under transition. Which way it would head? Well, probably not many people at panasonic itself may know. But the static statement i have personally been hearing from them: ' we are no longer shipping plasmas '. So what you are getting in S60D is current and last batch , available while stocks last. I am head over heels when it comes to panny PQ but the uncertainty is not worth it.

the best way to deal with the whole thing is to get the f8500 with an extended warranty. You don't seem to be needing that soundbar, so exchange it for extended warranty. or better still, try to get it for free, along with the soundbar. you could probably even push samsung into selling you the f8500 under exchange at dealer cost. but at the end of it all, make sure you have extended warranty. you should look to minimise the depreciation impact ;)

The catch here is samsung would be giving me a cheque for the amount in 15 working days time. They did not given any offer for exchange for a new set. The standard reply i got is negotiate and book from the market.Post purchase you can call for extended warranty.

So i have to look for the best deal in the market. I called up some of the dealers and they said that 64" Sammy is not in stock and i can book one now and they would deliver in 2 weeks time. Also girijas said that they have an offer running, where we can book the tv now and they will match the diwali scheme that comes for any change in offer.

i also read the post on Panasonic exiting the Plasma business, which may be a rumor. Also the price difference between both is huge.

this price difference talk gets to me. what is better: a 10 rs. lemon or a 15 rs gem?

what i stated about panasonic is a statement from source, in person.

of course samsung denied exchange and this and that. you have to convince or bully them into agreeing. talk to ppl above the ppl who deny stuff. there will always be people who'd be responsible for both service as well as fresh sales, and they would be interested in this cheeky little plan.

@Dushie
Yeah. I still remember you had the biggest ever display years before on HFV.
You can again go with biggest (64) to keep that track record:)

I think you should go for 64f8500 for 3 reasons.
1) You already had non-3d. Time to explore. you may like it more when you use it.
2)I see just 2 inches you wont get that advantage of a newer screen (58C vs S60)
3) You are almost getting 50%+ towards cost of 64f8500 which is again agreat plasma and great size.

go for the 60s60....colours are too mild on a samsung plasma and black levels not as deep as the panasonic....3d forget about it...there is hardly any good 3d movie coming....

Thanks, Viper what you say do seem to make sense. Only worry with Panasonic is that i saw their Diwali advertisement in the newspaper and not even a word on plasma. All LED's only on offer, no plasma models were mentioned. I know they have a 3 year warranty but their plasma strategy is confusing me somewhat, also i went to many showrooms, was not able to see the S60 anywhere apart from the Brand shop in Koramangala who had displayed the set in one corner next to the entrance with light falling on it causing the picture to wash out. The interest of the salesman also was more towards LED.

Cost is the one big factor that is coming to my mind as i would need to pay 70k more for the samsung when compared to S60. But the product is state of the art and the pricing is more or less similar to US. For s60 its priced higher than what it sells for in US.

Planning to go around and demo the sets, need to find a showroom that has S60 set up properly so i can view the same.

I somehow like the smooth and deep black images of Panasonic than the Samsung's overly sharp , shallow blacks and almost led like images.
Well, this is my personal taste and opinion.

which one did you finally buy? this thread is quite interesting in a weird sense because Panny TH-P60S60 vs Sammy PS64F8500? is that even a comparison? one is an entry level plasma and the other is a flagship which competes with the Panasonic ZT60 so this comparison must be some kind of a joke.

I purchased 64 inch plasma last year. Its a good TV, as bright as LED. Its better to purchage with extended warranty as exactly after a year it failed to start. I called up call centre they changed the power supply unit but problem persists. Today they came and now wanted to change the screen panel.
Initially, service centre guys declined to honour warranty, after escalations they changed the board free of cost.
Picture quality is awesome, sound is dull and not good. I used Denon+Tannoy and got appreciations from friends for the setup. Worth going for. However, beware of warranty.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back