Philips offloads TV division to Chinese Manufacturer

Rupam

In a shocking news, I discovered that Philips has given its license to an obscure Chinese manufacturer (TPV Technology) to build televisions. It means that the set will be built with the technology of that Chinese company and Philips will just "paste" their logo on the set. It was one of my favorite brand but apparently, it was struggling to make profits from its TV division.

I was never aware of that. I wonder how will that affect the production of Philips India. I think they are also going to outsource LCD panels from these manufacturer.
I believe the quality control will also be done by that company. So we will have to be aware of this transfer and keep an eye on the quality of panels from "Philips" TVs in future.
I fear this will not become a trend in LCD market and companies like Sony, LG, Samsung, Sharp, Toshiba will continue to do their own R&D.

Here is the link to the news :Philips offloads TV division to Chinese joint venture to head off losses | TV, home cinema and hi-fi reviews, news and videos - whathifi.com

PHILIPS TV IS DEAD, LONG LIVE PHILIPS!:rolleyes:

Good news for the consumers, In open market it is always difficult to choose between brands. Now choices can be made from pool of All_Brands -1.

Philips has a minority stake in the joint partnership with just 30%.
The other being a Chinese company will probably start using some Chinese panels or third tier panels and other chinese components in order to be competitive.

Philips is already dead in North America,in asia its sales is nothing to write about ,its indian business is handled by videocon which screwed up Electrolux and kenstar reputation in india after it took over A.S&S

So its future is a ?

Don't ever under estimate the chinese. See how Lenovo took care of IBM's computer business smartly and infact upto an extend the quality has improved, I would say.

Even apple has a manufacturing plant in china ..So dose it means u have any inferior complexity with apple product ?

Stay away from Philips product..........the quality is just awful........8-((

Almost all companies have outsourced their manufactoring to china for some or all components to be cost effective. That does not mean inferiror quality as they work on specifications decided by client company and not as per their own standards. I have many electronics which are global brands but made in china and working perfectly for years including toshiba laptop & WD TV.

If you are talking about chinese brands, then its a different story.
In general I like philips innovations although I am not a fan of it.

Recently I heard somebody saying. If it's not made in China then it's surely a duplicate one. Chinese have grown to such extend. My guess is the whole thought of Chinese quality came partly from part of american far right society who believes anything made elsewhere than America and western europe is inferior. I have seen this sort of nationalistic/anglo/dutch... (seemingly) comments on even high tech/auto industry forums. You might have heard the same voice from different industry leaders in Europe and America when Tata launched Nano. Of course, I am not a guy who supports the hard bonded - low wage labour which is in use in China and the not so fair trade they do with other countries. But still they are a force to reckon with, in my opinion.

I am happy i bought a Philips LCD 4 years ago and it was made in Belgium, it is working without any issues till date.:)

Having said that i think Philips is facing huge loss in their TV department so they to do this china deal, in a few years all most all electronics you may lay your hands on will be made in china.

Look, I'm not blaming Chinease products or its qualities. Because I own two Laptops HP (4 years old) and Acer both of them working fine and Yes they are MADE IN CHAINA (MIC). My external LaCie HDD is MIC. My good old mobile is MIC. They do have reliable quality. :)

BUT I want to know if these companies will "only" Manufacture the products or will they also take care of R&D of new products. If not who will think about the new product innovation of Philips LCD ? A company like Sony, LG, Samsung not only stands for quality but also for satisfying comsumer expectation by innovating new features and products. They are passionate about their patent design and chips which in their each way unique.

Think..........

What happens to the After Sales Service and repairs of existing Philips TVs ?I hope they don't stop doing it altogether, or worse still,outsource that as well to the Chinese.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back