Picking up imports at airport

sidvee

Esteemed members,
Do any of you have experience in picking up imported items at the airport (specifically hyd) or any other airport. I am planning to import a few diffuser panels with an invoice value of approximate $250 and the shipper has indicated that shipping directly to hyd ap will be significantly cheaper, but I am concerned that
A. I do not know the procedure
B. Customs might have an early Diwali bonus at my cost:lol:
Cheers
Sid

Get hold of a reliable clearing agent. There are many available around the customs area.

Do not .... repeat, do not trying doing the tit bits by yourself .... you would run into a wall.

And ..... ask your overseas supplier to provide you with a brochure of the goods, if available with a copy of the invoice. You would need to provide them to the clearing agent.

I did it at Chennai airport, with several boxes I shipped to myself from London. It was all low-value stuff of my own that I had left at a friend's house.

My wife and I went to Chennai air cargo. It took several hours, and was very confusing and tiring. I think we "tipped" a guy who adopted us and told us, go here, sign that, take it here, show him, come here, do that, blah blah, and the only thing the customs man wanted to know was "Any electronics", and he just dipped into one box, and signed off our papers, duty free. There were no demands for cash from anyone.

It was an experience. I could not have done it without a Tamil speaker with me. My wife is pretty good at coping with officials and stuff. Next time, I'd use an agent!

Last edited:
I checked around for some C&F agents in Hyd. and found a few but could not get any references for them. So now I am planning to import via ship into Chennai (Only $60 for sea shipment vs $250 for air) and use a CF agent that does some work for my relatives as they import chemicals from China.
Seems like a better deal and since the agent has done some work is a good reference.
Cheers
Sid

Back