Pinch Roller Adventures

reubensm

Dear all, a lot of us are returning to our once-loved cassette tapes and some of the crazy ones (like me) from this group are even trying out reel-2-reel tapes. One common issue that we all encounter is the availability of good cassette and reel tape equipment for playback and recording. Cassette decks are generally delicate machines while reel decks are generally very complicated machines. The average age of a cassette deck out there tends to be about 30+ years and that of a reel deck, around 40+ years. Hence its almost certain that one would need to work on these even if acquired in 'pristine' condition.

One often ignored aspect relates to the rubber parts. I have known of guys recapping decks with expensive capacitors but continuing to use them with old belts, rollers and tyres. While the older ones are built to last and will play, it is always good to have these replaced in order to have a pristine deck at hand. With the abundant availability of Chinese spares in our local markets, one usually has the tendency to pick these up and replace on a need basis. However I suggest two things (1) ensure that you replace rubber parts to get great performance and (2) go for good quality and well reviewed/received spares and not the low cost Chinese ones.

Some time in the recent past, I got hold of an AKAI 1710L deck in good cosmetic condition from a very good friend and FM. Although the deck lit up and the wheels turned, the deck was not singing. Although at that point, I had exited reel to reel decks and had no plans to re-enter the domain, I took this one on as (1) the deck has a highly acclaimed tube amplifier which many suggest, if restored properly, can produce audiophile sounds and (2) the deck was in such lovely condition but was probably stored away for decades. If I did not take it on, perhaps, it would have ended up in a scrap or salvage shop.

Over a period of time, I got the electronics to work with great results. The sound of the amplifier became the envy of many (especially visiting neighbours who hadn't even seen a tube amp before). And then, it was down to the mechanicals.

When I got down to listening to tapes, I noticed that the tape would not run till the end. It would just slow down mid way and after about a minute of running slow, it would just stop. When I consulted, some knowledgeable friends, they suggested that I check the main capstan belt and the pinch roller spring tension. Having experience with idler turntables and changers, and knowing that the capstan belt was usable (even though would eventually need a change), I decided to focus on the pinch roller and after careful examination, this is what I found, a mosaic-surfaced roller which was way beyond its active life:

Old Roller.jpg

So I decided to change the roller. I did some research online to ascertain the various options available. There were some used ones available and some tyres with glue were available. One could just gut out the old tyre and glue the new one on and have a working pinch roller. And then there were some new types made of a sort of plastic promising longer life and accuracy. I did not want to try these simply as I was looking to get to as close to the original as possible.

And then I came across Terry's. I did some online reading about his work and also got in touch with some of his customers. I came to know that he is so good that he has helped resurrect even recording studio decks with his rubber-work, which is of the highest quality. Folks referred to his work as 'world-class'. I got in touch with Terry and he was really welcoming and answered my numerous queries, and also directed me to his webpage which featured examples of his work (I also got to know about his son's adventures as a brave Fire Fighter, which was great). Unfortunately the pandemic hit and Terry wasn't taking orders as the US Postal department advised caution with incoming parcels. Eventually I got down to sending the roller to him. I must say, he did an outstanding job on it and its playing superbly on the deck. I never knew that the deck sounded so clear and kept such great speed/pitch (yes, i did not want to re-calibrate the head azimuth and the new roller got me back to a state where the factory-azimuth setting was now a perfect match, again a testimonial to Terry's accurate work)

Here's the refurbished wheel.

Terry's.jpg

I am extremely happy with the outcome and also strongly recommend Terry's services. You may see another cassette deck roller in the packet received from Terry but that's another story over another cup of coffee. Keep watching this space.

Last edited:
terrys ruber rollers are very fine quality and their workmanship is superb.but u can get the same pinch rollers even in inida if u can hunt for them.

but its a time taking process to source in inida. as i have an tascam 44 rtr deck the rollers have been worned off. the seller who has the rtr has given

a spare set of rollers from the oem and i replaced them . they are still running since 7 years

Back