Pioneer LX503 good to buy

arunlouie

Hi All,

I am looking for a decent 7.2 channel Av reciever with atmos. This will be my first AV recever, and I have Klipsch reference speakers 5.0 (already bought)

I am current in Europe so have more options to buy.

Based on review I was looking into Denon 2400h/2500h then got my eye on Sony STR 10180 DN for the powerful amp section. So was leaning more to buy Sony and all of a sudden my cousin confused me to get a Pioneer elite series (though he has Marantz SR5012 for his own). And surprisingly I see Pioneer vsx LX503 selling for 600 euros here (Amazon.de).

My budget wasn't 600euros initially, but if I am ready to spend 600 now, I see Marantz SR5013 is also 600 and many good reviews.

Now my question is, is it good to go with Pioneer for extra channels and pre-outs or Marantz is good choice? OR Pioneer is not that bad compare to Marantz in sound department.

Hi All,

I am looking for a decent 7.2 channel Av reciever with atmos. This will be my first AV recever, and I have Klipsch reference speakers 5.0 (already bought)

I am current in Europe so have more options to buy.

Based on review I was looking into Denon 2400h/2500h then got my eye on Sony STR 10180 DN for the powerful amp section. So was leaning more to buy Sony and all of a sudden my cousin confused me to get a Pioneer elite series (though he has Marantz SR5012 for his own). And surprisingly I see Pioneer vsx LX503 selling for 600 euros here (Amazon.de).

My budget wasn't 600euros initially, but if I am ready to spend 600 now, I see Marantz SR5013 is also 600 and many good reviews.

Now my question is, is it good to go with Pioneer for extra channels and pre-outs or Marantz is good choice? OR Pioneer is not that bad compare to Marantz in sound department.
Well first you need to decide how many channels you want. If you are 100% sure that all u need is 7 channels then you can skip the pioneer nd go for 5013

A Denon x 3500 (if aval for same price) is a better choice for 600 Euros than the Marantz SR 5013 if you want to settle for 7 channel AVR (or) 5.1.2 layout.

if you want 4 overheads, then Pioneer may be a better choice..

Last edited:
I am not sure if I need 9 channels... Is there a big difference in experience between 5.1.2 VS 5.1.4?

Difference is more wider sound from atmos speakers....hence more better effects,,,

Bottom line no AVR brand or type is future proof,....models and features keep getting updated every year.....so decide what you expect from the AVR in terms of features and performance and go for that AVR....

There are dedicated AVR threads of each of the brands if you want to read / review end user feedback.....

Another way is to audition the shortlisted brands and models with the same movie / music content....

All the best

I am not sure if I need 9 channels... Is there a big difference in experience between 5.1.2 VS 5.1.4?
For sure 5.1.4 will be way better then 5.1.2. Even Dolby recommends 4 overhead speakers for getting the best out of Atmos. I myself have a 5.1.2 set up and having listening to 5.1.4 can very well confirm that the 5.1.4 is way better.

One lame question, why atmos need be pair of speakers instead one speaker for front height and another for back. Typically for home with mere 10-12 feet width room isn't that be enough?

One lame question, why atmos need be pair of speakers instead one speaker for front height and another for back. Typically for home with mere 10-12 feet width room isn't that be enough?
Even I have had this thought cross my mind a couple of times. I think I saw Pioneer had a 6.1 setup. I have this wild thought of mounting two sound bars for front and back ceiling speakers.

I have demoed Denon 2400 and LX303 with same speaker set (Q Acoustics 5.0 and Elac sub).

LX303 blew Denon 2400 away in almost all departments. Surround separation, punch, clarity, and even the power of bomb blasts from the movie were crazy nice with LX303. I will love to pick it up if I were looking for 9.2 setup. Heck, if not for step down transformer need, I would have picked it up for less than $400 in US couple of weeks back. I don't want a hassle of the transformer, hence, I am looking for Indian / European / Singapore models. Still trying to search for my right AVR. :)

I have demoed Denon 2400 and LX303 with same speaker set (Q Acoustics 5.0 and Elac sub).

LX303 blew Denon 2400 away in almost all departments. Surround separation, punch, clarity, and even the power of bomb blasts from the movie were crazy nice with LX303. I will love to pick it up if I were looking for 9.2 setup. Heck, if not for step down transformer need, I would have picked it up for less than $400 in US couple of weeks back. I don't want a hassle of the transformer, hence, I am looking for Indian / European / Singapore models. Still trying to search for my right AVR. :)
Thanks! I was in the same dilemma for last couple of days. I was looking for someone who could tell me the difference in sound quality between pioneer lx303 and denon 2500/2400. My preferred choice was denon because its favorite brand of many fms but was looking for a 9.1 channel avr, which in denon(4500h) would have been out of my budget. As audition is not possible for me due to my location, i am relying on others advise. My room size is 11*13*10 cubic foot, and m using pioneer Andrew jones floostanders and center channel, do you think lx 303 would drive 9.1 channels with ease?

do you think lx 303 would drive 9.1 channels with ease?

Based on my audition, I feel it can drive them better than 2400/2500 Denons. The comparable model in Denon for power will be 3500, but thats 7.2 channel as well.

Like I said, LX303 is a top notch AVR among all that I have demoed. (Thought I haven't demoed the top end Marantz and Aventage Yamahas). Finding a Yamaha demo isn't that easy with showrooms. PROFX BLR doesn't deal with Yamaha now and I checked with couple more prominent shops who have stopped dealing with Yamaha.

To me, it could just be the great marketing tactic by Denon which allows huge margins for dealers to push Denons to "general" users like us. Getting Denon 1500 for 51k is way too over priced when it can barely stand against NR series from Onkyo on powers.

I have tried Marantz SR series AVR and currently using Pioneer LX series. The Pioneer punches the Marantz in every way. However if you plan to use the pre outs then use the Marantz if it's available cheaper.

Thanks! I was in the same dilemma for last couple of days. I was looking for someone who could tell me the difference in sound quality between pioneer lx303 and denon 2500/2400. My preferred choice was denon because its favorite brand of many fms but was looking for a 9.1 channel avr, which in denon(4500h) would have been out of my budget. As audition is not possible for me due to my location, i am relying on others advise. My room size is 11*13*10 cubic foot, and m using pioneer Andrew jones floostanders and center channel, do you think lx 303 would drive 9.1 channels with ease?

Basic stuff about AVRs...

More towards Music...Marantz, Cambridge Audio,

More towards Movies......Denon Pioneer Harmon Kardon

50:50 ration Yamaha

Now high end models which have good components and parts in them....you can play with settings and tweak it more towards movies or music or keep it optimal for both......

Denon 2xxx models onwards, Marantz SR series, Pioneer LX series, Yamaha Aventage series......

After all this....it also depends on pairing of speakers....(some avrs are brand fussy) and also placement of speakers, room acoustics etc.....

Bottomline....audition where possible....see some end user videos uploaded on Youtube to get basic ideas or visit FMs close to your location to understand better if easy auditions with dealers not available....

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back