Pioneer PLX 1000 review

I just bought a Pioneer plx1000 to replace a Technics sl3200 semi automatic turntable (vintage 70s) which was giving me trouble for some time (failed 33/45 switch, bust strobe light and cover hinges)

Really liking it so far!

Since the technics sl1200s are not really available even used - and I don’t see how to get the new 1200mk7 in India, this is a pretty good choice for anyone who is ok with what is basically a food clone.

I got a new Nagaoka 110 cartridge. Also have the Shure M97xe that I was using with the Technics 3200 earlier.
AEBE40B1-264D-498C-9B40-01933A4ABF6F.jpeg

Still with me actually - And quite playable. But do not need it now. In case anyone is interested...
Was enquiring about it as the issues which you mentioned, are easily fixable. And unknown to many, the SL3200, even with its budget turntable tag and is plastic plinth, is one of the most accurate and lively sounding turntables out there (especially when compared to its Technics siblings). It is usually quite sort after and a lot of turntable aficionados usually silently or secretly keep one of these in their collections.

Mechanically, servicing this turntable is also very easy, and the tonearm is very accurate and tracks well with most cartridges. The Stop button tends to get stuck and the speed selector becomes unreliable over time but these are easily serviceable. That's why I have retained it despite having other turntables on my rack.

On another note, the dust cover hinges are made of plastic which tends to get brittle over time and break (this is a turntable that was manufactured in 1978 so that's a long time ago). Replacement spares are very expensive online, however you have 2 options - (1) get them fabricated locally, (2) play the turntable without the dustcover.

Another issue which is common in all Technics direct drive turntables (with the exception of the SL1200 series), is that over a period of time, the transformer starts humming, which in turn is picked up by the cartridge as rumble. This can be minimised by using dampening on the transformer mount.

Important: The controls of the SL3200 are left outside the dustcover and hence, please ensure that after a round of LP listening, let the turntable cool down for about 20 minutes and then cover it well. The pitch controls and speed selector switch tend to fail because of this. The speed selector switch is a unique one and getting a spare part is extremely difficult. However it can be stripped and cleaned which will get it back to normal functionality.

Last edited:
Was enquiring about it as the issues which you mentioned, are easily fixable. And unknown to many, the SL3200, even with its budget turntable tag and is plastic plinth, is one of the most accurate and lively sounding turntables out there (especially when compared to its Technics siblings). It is usually quite sort after and a lot of turntable aficionados usually silently or secretly keep one of these in their collections.

Mechanically, servicing this turntable is also very easy, and the tonearm is very accurate and tracks well with most cartridges. The Stop button tends to get stuck and the speed selector becomes unreliable over time but these are easily serviceable. That's why I have retained it despite having other turntables on my rack.

On another note, the dust cover hinges are made of plastic which tends to get brittle over time and break (this is a turntable that was manufactured in 1978 so that's a long time ago). Replacement spares are very expensive online, however you have 2 options - (1) get them fabricated locally, (2) play the turntable without the dustcover.

Another issue which is common in all Technics direct drive turntables (with the exception of the SL1200 series), is that over a period of time, the transformer starts humming, which in turn is picked up by the cartridge as rumble. This can be minimised by using dampening on the transformer mount.

Important: The controls of the SL3200 are left outside the dustcover and hence, please ensure that after a round of LP listening, let the turntable cool down for about 20 minutes and then cover it well. The pitch controls and speed selector switch tend to fail because of this. The speed selector switch is a unique one and getting a spare part is extremely difficult. However it can be stripped and cleaned which will get it back to normal functionality.
Thanks @reubensm - that was quite some good information.
I will keep the TT with me - to fix the problems I mentioned I have bypassed the speed selector switch and put in another switch at the back of the tt using some wire and solder - which allows me to switch the speed since the main switch had gone bust and cleaning it did not help. I also use a strobe app on my phone which uses the flash to check that the speed is accurate for 33 and 45 both since my strobe bulb is gone.
Hinges - yes - haven’t been able to do much - use one arm to hold the cover in open position while I place/turn over the record.

Yes, the only way to fix the speed selector switch is to dismantle it and clean it (be careful not to loose the tiny spring and ball bearing inside it). Spraying wd40 or other contact cleaners won’t work in this case.

I experimented with the extra 4gm headshell weight but this made the sound dull. There is also an extra weight at the tonearm end which is evidently enough . It sounds much better without the extra headshell mass.
@Beast_of_burden Very informative and very useful lessons I learnt from you.
What headshell you are using with DL-103R?
Thank you very much

@Beast_of_burden Very informative and very useful lessons I learnt from you.
What headshell you are using with DL-103R?
Thank you very much
I have the DL103R on the stock Pioneer headshell. I have a Technics headshell but I don't think it makes a noticeable difference. If at all I wish to try another headshell, it will be one with an Azimuth adjustment. Even Soundsmith advocates tonearms with adjustable azimuth as the needles are often misalinged inside the cart. The DL103R is a tall cartridge, I raised the tonearm by about 1.5mm from 0 as I read in the forms the DL103R being a low compliance cart likes the tonearm angled down ever so slightly. The only impact I could perceive was the pops and tics got attenuated a bit. I have some really old Carnatic LPs from way back and these are recorded and pressed beautifully but lots of pops due to age, it helped with the older records.

On a related note, the Schiit Mani is now replaced with a Lehman Black CUbe. The latter is a bit more expensive but well worth it and has the 100R loading suited to the DL103R. Next I am trying to source a Step Up transformer. 20 turns is apparently the best for this cart, there appears to be a consensus that a SUT is a must for MC. I am looking for a cost effective option, even looking at Denon's SUTs.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back