Planning to modify my open baffle speakers

Hari Iyer

Its almost 2 years i have been using my open baffle speakers in the original avatar with no major / minor change to its design. Last month i experimented with control directivity by putting a rare baffle behind the full-range to block dispersion from the speaker rare side to prevent them from hitting the front wall and diffuse with the direct sound. The reason behind this rational was to prevent phase distortion in the lower and upper mids and also to reduce the confusion in the mid-range because of destructive interference caused by the baffle step. This experiment proved out to be very successful and now i want to make this change permanent by having some more modification.

I have been using this OB speaker with an H-frame OB subwoofer with a Dayton Audio classic 10 inch paper cone woofer which has a very low resonance. I also tried using my 1993 purchased Bolton 10 inch woofer in the same H-frame OB and found them to be also very good in terms of speed, accuracy, low frequency extension and sensitivity. So my plan will be as follows,

- sell my current H-frame OB speaker with the Dayton Audio 10 inch classic woofer (will post for sales in hfv asap)
- put the two Bolton 10" woofer on the FR OB frame so that both left and right speakers get the woofers.
- purchase one more subwoofer amplifier for the other channel

This will free some of the space in my living room which otherwise looks cluttered with too many speakers (WAF friendly too :))

My current planned configuration will be to drive the Boltons till around 150Hz and the FR from 150Hz upwards. I will not be using any cross-over on the FR as the controlled dispersion panel will itself behave like a high-pass acoustic cross-over above 200Hz for the FR.

Thanks for looking,

Would this help you push the speakers away from listening position and closer to the front wall? Can you post a pic of the mod?

Would this help you push the speakers away from listening position and closer to the front wall? Can you post a pic of the mod?
Thanks for suggesting to move the speakers close to the front wall, but unfortunately that will be difficult for me due to main door opening and other artefacts.

Attachments

• 2019-11-14 22.54.30.jpg
    2019-11-14 22.54.30.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 77
A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back