Please Help: Optical to USB converter

vpriyan

Could anyone please tell me if there is any Optical to USB audio converter available?

I'm thinking to buy B&W MM-1 or Focal XS 2.1 multimedia speakers which connects to PC via USB. But I do have DVD player which has only optical out.
I would like to know if there is any such converter available which will convert optical signal to usb so that usb signal can feed speakers

Your inputs will be very helpful

Thanks
VPriyan

don't buy them if you don't have a PC. And if you have a PC, use that to play your dvds. there is a line level input on these (not sure but I think there is) - so use analog out of dvdp, connect with a cable that has 2 rca on one end, and 3.5mm on another (or whatever is there on these speakers).

I have PC but I want to include multiple sources including dvd player. Actually I came to see one device (USB to Optical coverter) but I'm not sure if I can use it vice versa

since this one doesn't have usb, and if you don't want to buy a sound card, you can buy m2tech hiface that will give digital out from your usb out of pc. the other input can be used for dvdp.

All above recommendations are based on my online research - I have not listened to them. One forum member moserw purchased them but he quit the forum unfortunately.

Last edited:
Hi Anm

Thanks a lot for your info/research

But actually I want that in vice versa. Input should be optical and output should be of USB type. Does this kind exist in the market?

Thanks again for your valuable info

Thanks & Regards
VPriyan

most probably not - because you would need a host usb port to connect your speakers too, and any device would have usb device port. Which means the USB would then go to your PC.
If you buy a sound card that has digital input, then you can feed your PC with digital signal, somehow loop it back to USB, and then run your speakers. This would require your PC to be on when listening to DVDP. And there may be jitter etc added for PC may add its own processing.

Back