Please help with speakers!

prashanth14485

Hi guys,

I got a Marantz PM 15S1 integrated amplifier about a month ago and now thinking of upgrading my speakers in a couple of months (wanted to begin the hunt now itself).

I currently use Jamo S416, bought these mainly for HT purposes but I now miss a pair of good speakers because of its not so musical nature. Please suggest me some speakers that would go well with this amplifier so that I can start auditioning wherever possible. My room size is about 18 by 12 and I'm open to both BS and FS (budget - not more than 50-60k).

Qualities I'm looking for is really good mids and highs with some tight and crisp bass..

Thanks in advance for helping me out..

@Iaudio - Thanks I did audition it with the Quad 11l2 and really liked the pairing.. However I found the bass to be a little more (extended) than I would generally like.. It has dual ports at the rear and thought it would be too bassy if I ever decide to keep it in my bedroom which is only 10 by 12..

I heard the latest KEF Q100 (BS) and really liked it except for the fact that it doesn't have bass at all.. would require a dedicated sub if I were to go with it because it freq range is above 49hz.. Also, you might find this a little strange, but IQ70 which hasn't got a lot of good reviews sounded good to me(detailing and dynamics). I know that it doesn't have great control on low freq but vocals sounded very real to me.. I'm not going to buy these or something but I just wanted to give you a good idea about the kind of sound i like listening to.. Not that I like speakers that are too bright but i think my marantz is very warm so anything that it a little bright (not too much) would be ideal... let me know if i missed something here..

@Spirovious - Thanks for the suggestion.. I'm gonna try and audition these and get back to you..

Also, here are a few speakers I was thinking about.. now that you know what i kind of need.. let me know what you guys think..

Focal Chorus 807v (A little expensive but heard a lot of good things about it)
MA RX2 Silver series
KEF Q300
PSB Imagine B (Waiting for lakozy delhi to open up)

Thanks again for all your help.. you guys rock!

prashanth14485 said:
I heard the latest KEF Q100 (BS)

Hello Prashanth,

Can I ask you where you have been listening to the KEF Q100 ? Have you listened to Q500 as well ? Could you also let me know how much the Q100's are retailing for ?

I get all excited when I read about the new Q series and I have been reading some really good reviews of it on the net. :)

Regards,

Sunil

Last edited:
prashanth, The MA Br2 might work out in your bedroom, also they are front ported.
The RX2 though a shade costlier, is well regarded. Another forum member found the Aviano Series from MS to pair well with Marantz budget amp.
You could also check out the Usher x718, Usher V series.

Hi prashanth
Everyone has given good suggestions so i dont want to add more

But you should not decide on any speaker before listening the PSB's and Paradigms

Have heard good things about both the brands. Not sure about the prices so you will have to check out which series fits your budget

Thanks for the suggestions guys..

@Sunil - I had been to this PROFX dealer in Gurgaon to check out the KEF IQ30 and that is when I came to know about this all new Qseries.. Honestly, I wasn't quire impressed by the look of it, but once I played Blower's Daughter by Damien Rice, the vocals and guitar sounded as clean and natural as i've ever heard.. As you all know I'm not a great fan of bass but a bit of tight bass would've made this speaker a masterpiece.. The speaker just couldn't reach out to the lows (freq range 49hz+) enough and quickly had me ask the dealer if there is a big brother BS. This doesn't take anything away for them because they do their job really well and leave the bass part to subs..

The dealer told me that the speakers were fresh out the box and hadn't burned in as yet.. He is going to get the rest of the series sometime towards the end of this month and going by the specs of the q300/500 and my experience with the smaller one, its anybody's guess as to how they would do.. These are strong contenders and can't wait to take my amp along and test them out.. Q100's list price is 25k so you can get a rough idea about the rest in the lineup.. The dealer sounded like he would offer some discounts if interested..

@Iaudio - thanks for recommending some really good speakers.. I just read the reviews and I feel I would've missed these strong players completely if not for you.. I'm am going to FX entertainment tomorrow.. they stock the MS range. wanted to go today but it was closed bcoz of some pooja.. Do you know of a dealer in delhi that stocks MA and Usher??

@Rikhav - my friend has always had great things to say about the PSBs.. he has personally listened to the PSB synchrony series (expensive) but he thinks it is almost as good as the b&w 805... but the only dealer who stocks them is the one who is under renovation.. (lakoz).. if you know of anyone else i would be more than happy to give them a try..

prashanth, contact/pm ashishkesarwani on this forum for help reg psb and odeyssey reg ushers.

Edit: Other than psb and paradigm rikhav mentioned, two other brands you could check are Epos( Epos 12.2) and Acoustic Energy ( neo3).

Last edited:
@Sunil - I had been to this PROFX dealer in Gurgaon to check out the KEF IQ30 and that is when I came to know about this all new Qseries.. Honestly, I wasn't quire impressed by the look of it, but once I played Blower's Daughter by Damien Rice, the vocals and guitar sounded as clean and natural as i've ever heard.. As you all know I'm not a great fan of bass but a bit of tight bass would've made this speaker a masterpiece.. The speaker just couldn't reach out to the lows (freq range 49hz+) enough and quickly had me ask the dealer if there is a big brother BS. This doesn't take anything away for them because they do their job really well and leave the bass part to subs..

The dealer told me that the speakers were fresh out the box and hadn't burned in as yet.. He is going to get the rest of the series sometime towards the end of this month and going by the specs of the q300/500 and my experience with the smaller one, its anybody's guess as to how they would do.. These are strong contenders and can't wait to take my amp along and test them out.. Q100's list price is 25k so you can get a rough idea about the rest in the lineup.. The dealer sounded like he would offer some discounts if interested..

Thank you so much for the information. Good to know that the new KEF's have reached the Indian shores this early. Going by the discussions on forums, some of which see Ron Locke of KEF taking part, I am to believe that KEF has concentrated it's efforts and money on the Drivers rather than the Box. This is of course is not to mean that the box is substandard, quality wise or looks wise but some might prefer the looks of the Classic Q's to the new series.

I wish you the very best in your quest for new speakers :)

Regards,

Sunil

@Iaudio and ssf - thanks a lot for all your help.. wasn't feeling well yesterday so couldn't audition the focals but will def take sometime out next weekend.. will keep you all posted..

the ma rx2 bookshelves will come under your budget. if youre willing to extend your budget by a bit:) go for the ma rx6

Hi prashanth
Everyone has given good suggestions so i dont want to add more

But you should not decide on any speaker before listening the PSB's and Paradigms

Have heard good things about both the brands. Not sure about the prices so you will have to check out which series fits your budget

Can you tell me where in Delhi can I audition Paradigm speakers? I don't think there is a dealer in Delhi for Paradigm which sucks.. :(

Hi,
New to the forum.
Want some 4 in Fostex full range -- preferably the FX 120.
Can anyone put me onto to parties within India who resell these speakers or their equivalents --the Tang band 1337 will do nicely.
Require these for a TQWT for a small room.
Tks

Anil

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back