Please suggest a good low end 5.1 home theater system

godfatherharry

Hi,

I'm Hari from Chennai. I have been looking for options for a good low end 5.1 system but being a total noob, I thought I should seek some advice here.

My budget is about 20k...I don't mind stretching by about 3k-4k if there is a significant difference in offerings.

The options that I have looked at so far are

1) Yamaha YHT 196
2) Pioneer HTP 071
3) Onkyo HT S3300/S3400

The next two options are just the receivers alone. I could start with hooking up my existing 2.1 speakers for now and add a better 5.1 setup later.
1) Denon AVR 1312
2) Yamaha RX V371

I am looking for a simple 5.1 setup for movies, PS3 and music. I need to make a choice rather quickly. Please help!

Also, for all of these the Indian prices are about twice of what is listed on amazon.com....unfair don't you think?

In that budget Onkyo is the best. I've been using one for the wifey's TV (Tata Sky + WDTV) and its good especially for small to medium sized room.

Don't go for anything from the likes of LG, Sony, Philips, Samsung, etc. Stick with Onkyo or Yamaha HTIBs.

onkyo 3400 is the best choice in ur budget current price is being 26k.......i am using this really good with tatasky hd DD..must be more good with DTS HD and DTSHDMA or dolby tru hd..have not tested those yet....as I dont own a br player right now.
yamaha 296 if avilable within 25k in ur area or online..have a demo of that also...u may like the sound...

as musicbee said pls pls dont go to sony lg pana or any htibs,they are complete loss of ur hard earned money.......stick to onkyo/yamaha/denon.

denon 1312xp htib set is avilable at 34k at profx...but that can be more of ur budget..

only avr?? then u shd buy something better and separate spkers.....can be costly.btw what 2.1 spker u have right now u r planning to hook up with
in my opinion demo onkyo 3400/yam 296..if you are happy with the powers...cool.

yam 196 is also good but read somewhere dont have some format decoding capability.otherwise ok.

IMO YAMAHA COMBO 8900/8390 FS SPEAKERS AND HTR3064 AVR SOUND WAS REALLY GOOD AS COMP TO THE ONKYO 3400 ADD ANY FRONT SPKR TO IT ND U HAVE GOT A DEAL. THE AVR, FS AND CENTRE+REAR ARE ALSO SOLD SEPARATELY, THUS ENABLING A MISS ND MATCH IN BUDGET.
THE COMPLETE 5.0 Ch SET UP WITH AVR COSTS 38K HERE IN PUNE AT VIJAY SALES

Thank you all for your prompt response. I called the Onkyo authorized dealer in Chennai today and the HT S3400 apparently comes at a price tag of 27k. Same is the case at Tata Croma...which means in all probability I have to let this go.

Does anyone have information on HT S3300? The Chennai dealer didn't seem to have it. It is listed on the ezone website at Rs.24k but is out of stock.

Looking at all this, I am wondering if I should go back to my budget of 20k. That leaves me with the options of Yamaha YHT 196 and Pioneer HTP 071.

Any suggestions on which one is better between these two? Thanks in advance!

Thank you all for your prompt response. I called the Onkyo authorized dealer in Chennai today and the HT S3400 apparently comes at a price tag of 27k. Same is the case at Tata Croma...which means in all probability I have to let this go.

Does anyone have information on HT S3300? The Chennai dealer didn't seem to have it. It is listed on the ezone website at Rs.24k but is out of stock.

Looking at all this, I am wondering if I should go back to my budget of 20k. That leaves me with the options of Yamaha YHT 196 and Pioneer HTP 071.

Any suggestions on which one is better between these two? Thanks in advance!

well yam 196 is good just lacks dtshdma and dloby tru hd non decoding...if u can live with that its pretyy cool machine..in fact those hd audio comes in picture when u play original br disk with those sound tracks played in a br player...DD and DTS sound tracks are good enough...

if u mostly play downloaded files and from stb...u can do without dtshdma and dolby true hd non decode...so can go for 196.
but thats a bad idea since when ultimatly investing why not invest more for the latest avilable....
very bad idea with 196 if ur plan is to play original disks always from a br player ..........

but one thing also for just 7k..if u have liked 3400 dont let it go away...try emi option..off course the showroom must have emi..

Last edited:
Hi godfatherharry, I am trying to send you a private message (pm) - but unable to. Can you send a pm to me?

Thanks
Athulan

I want to play movies only through wd live tv by HDD (downloaded from net and mostly in MKV format) . No plan to purchase BR player . So please guide that YHT-196 is Ok for that

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back