pops and cracks on new record

Sunderpalanivel

Hi Guys,

Since last week I have bought few records, mostly second hand and they sound really nice. Today I went out and bought U2 Joshua Tree brand new record and when I play it I hear lot more pops and cracks than in very old records. I just want to check if its normal when the records is new or is it something wrong with my record ?

I have a brush kind of thing people use on the spinning record. Would it help reducing the pops or is it because the record is so new and thats why I am hearing these noise ?

Analog lovers please advise :eek:hyeah:

Hi Guys,

Since last week I have bought few records, mostly second hand and they sound really nice. Today I went out and bought U2 Joshua Tree brand new record and when I play it I hear lot more pops and cracks than in very old records. I just want to check if its normal when the records is new or is it something wrong with my record ?

I have a brush kind of thing people use on the spinning record. Would it help reducing the pops or is it because the record is so new and thats why I am hearing these noise ?

Analog lovers please advise :eek:hyeah:

>>>

Pops & crackles sound on records due to dust particles and/ or when the stylus tracks slight damage in the grooves. I can't think of any other reason. Please compare your newly bought record with another new record (same) at the seller's for a comparison.

Whereabouts in NZ are you?

Regards
issigonis

Even the new records quite frequently have leftover dirt from the manufacturing process. I usually clean even the new vinyls before playing using SpinClean system. The noise is however not as noticeable as you have written. I suggest comparing with another new vinyl.

Yup change it pronto. New vinyl shouldn't crackle so much. You should clean new vinyl before playing though to get rid of possible manufacturing mould release compound left on it.

Regards

View the LP at an angle thereby you can see the surface clearly. If you find frequent poke-marks all over the LP, then it points to manufacturing defect (these LPs tend to make music listening unbearable). I have had many imported LPs with such defects - I even found some of the LPs develop such poke-marks after a couple of rotation on the TT.

Thanks Guys..Now after playing a few times the cracks are very minimal only at the beginning and its not bothering me anymore..I did wipe it using my shirt once :lol:

Clean ur stylus before u play each record as it can accumulate dust from an old record. To clean the record itself, use a diluted solution of isopropyl alcohol. I used it on records that are more than 30 yrs old & after cleaning, the cracks & pops were greatly reduced. But u need a proper brush for applying the solution. I use the brush that came with audio technica at6012 record cleaning solution

Actually, if this is the newer 180 gram U2- Joshua Tree pressing, it was pressed in the Czech Republic. The pressings are a hit or miss affair...more miss :) I went through 4 copies and all were noisy. The last one I settled on was somewhat better after a thoroguh cleaning. Still...this is new vinyl that should be whisper quiet.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back