Power Backup/Conditioning Thread: UPS/Inverter/Generator/Desktop Nuclear Reactor...

digitalv

Our right to experience the pleasure of frequent power cuts and world renowned power quality (read Brownouts, sags, dips spikes, surges) are deeply enshrined in our constitution.

This thread is here to discuss the devices and methods employed by our members to protect our beloved HiFi gear from the power menace.

Power Backup Solutions

UPS: Online/Offline/Line Interactive (Let's not forget marketing mumbo-jumbo like quazi sine, approximated sine, stepped sine wave...) W/O AVR...

Inverters: Again comes in different variants...Square Wave, Sine Wave, quazi sine, approximated sine wave, stepped sine wave.

Diesel/Petrol/LPG/Kerosene Electric Generators: They are relatively clean regarding the ideal wave shape (Sine Wave) but could be having varying voltage and frequency depending on the quality of the speed/line/load regulation employed by the gensets.

Fuel Cells/Desktop Nuclear Generators:: Bloom-Box anyone?:)

Power Conditioning Solutions

Passive: Over/under Voltage protectors/Spike/Surge Protectors, EMI/RFI Filters...

Active: Multi-Tap Stabilizers, Digital Stabilizers (SCR/TRIAC switching), CVT, Servo...

For easier readability, it'd help if we can follow some template for the replies. For example:

Power Conditioning Device/s:
Power Backup Device/s:
Backup /Conditioning Power Rating:
Approximate Cost:
Wishlist/Future Upgrades:
Other Information/Comments/Hints:

Last edited:
Re: Power Backup/Conditioning Thread: UPS/Inverter/Generator/Desktop Nuclear Reactor.

I'll go first.;)
It's a bare basic power backup/conditioning setup at the moment.

Power Conditioning Device/s: Belkin Power Strip with Surge/Spike protection and EMI/RFI Filter
Power Backup Device/s: APC Offline UPS for HTPC, Generator Backup
Backup /Conditioning Power Rating: 600VA for the HTPC
Approximate Cost: Rs.800 (Belkin) + Rs.3500 (APC UPS)
Wishlist/Future Upgrades: 2KVA Online UPS for the complete HT gear
Other Information/Comments/Hints: Not completely happy with the setup since only the HTPC has power backup.

Last edited:
Re: Power Backup/Conditioning Thread: UPS/Inverter/Generator/Desktop Nuclear Reactor.

Ok I'll list mine next:

1. For general home duty+ @ 2 channel audio-SuKam 1.4KVA Smiley, cost about 22K( with 2 large tubular batteries)

2. For HT+ NAS duty, APC, Smart UPS RT 3000, online with batteries built in, no external battery.Cost new around 90K, bought it used for 6 months from first buyer.

No upgrades planned at this time

Next is mine :)

General Home needs : 1.5 kva pure signwave inverter from Luminious..(28k)

Stab & Powerstrip : Vertex 2kva , Vgaurd Digi 50 , 2 Belkin Surge protectors

HT : BESCOM :D ( I use only plasma/LCD on my inverter not complete HT)

Wishlist : uninterruptible power supply :rolleyes: by BESCOM .

Our right to experience the pleasure of frequent power cuts and world renowned power quality (read Brownouts, sags, dips spikes, surges) are deeply enshrined in our constitution.

This thread is here to discuss the devices and methods employed by our members to protect our beloved HiFi gear from the power menace.

Power Backup Solutions

UPS: Online/Offline/Line Interactive (Let's not forget marketing mumbo-jumbo like quazi sine, approximated sine, stepped sine wave...) W/O AVR...

Inverters: Again comes in different variants...Square Wave, Sine Wave, quazi sine, approximated sine wave, stepped sine wave.

Diesel/Petrol/LPG/Kerosene Electric Generators: They are relatively clean regarding the ideal wave shape (Sine Wave) but could be having varying voltage and frequency depending on the quality of the speed/line/load regulation employed by the gensets.

Fuel Cells/Desktop Nuclear Generators:: Bloom-Box anyone?:)

Power Conditioning Solutions

Passive: Over/under Voltage protectors/Spike/Surge Protectors, EMI/RFI Filters...

Active: Multi-Tap Stabilizers, Digital Stabilizers (SCR/TRIAC switching), CVT, Servo...

For easier readability, it'd help if we can follow some template for the replies. For example:

Power Conditioning Device/s:
Power Backup Device/s:
Backup /Conditioning Power Rating:
Approximate Cost:
Wishlist/Future Upgrades:
Other Information/Comments/Hints:

yeah, what happened to sridhar and bloombox?

they were supposed to move into single (american) households by now?

Dear All,

I am in UAE and i brought a Solar power conditioning unit having part number PCU6K... I have 24 Solar panels of 180 watt and 24 batteries of 12V and 150Ah. The solution which i designed is mentioned below:

1. Solar Power Conditioning Unit 6kVA X 1
2. Solar Panels 180Watt / 24V X 24 (Connect 4 in series and 6 in parallel to make 24)
3. Solar Batteries 12V / 150Ah X 24 (Connect 8 in series and 3 in parallel to make 24)

The series connection is dependent upon the input voltage required for Solar Power Conditioning Unit to make 96VDC system.

So, please check and revalidate the system so that i will be able to install it at my home.

Hope to have your favourable and quick response.

Thanks

Sameer

Power Conditioning Device/s: 2kVA Zephyr from Audire
Power Backup Device/s: APC Inverter but not used for audio.
Backup /Conditioning Power Rating: None
Approximate Cost: 30K for Zephyr and about 15K for APC.
Wishlist/Future Upgrades: 2kVA Servo Stabiliser, UPS for two computers, New Power Cords under construction
Other Information/Comments/Hints: Very Happy with the set up.

Cheers

May not be an apt thread , but recently I noticed by connecting some surge protectors like MX/CONA and other brands which have display for (G N L) , power seems to be reversing lightly , showing phase supply in neutral .

When I disconnect them , everything is normal ! Any one noticed this ?

Guys, I have an APC BI1000i 1Kva inverter for my home. The specs say it's output is sine wave which was one of the factors I considered when purchasing it.

I would like to know is that enough to protect my future AV equipment against dirty supply voltages e.g. voltage/frequenct fluctuations, spikes, noise etc. Should I still invest in a good spike guard and more importantly, is there any harm in using the spike guard along with the inverter?

I know for sure that inverters with approximated/quasi sine wave output are likely to affect the oprations of a spike guard.

Whats the recommendation for protecting my AV equipment, remember I am not worried about running my AV equipment when there is no power at all, I just want to make sure they are safe during regular usage.

May not be an apt thread , but recently I noticed by connecting some surge protectors like MX/CONA and other brands which have display for (G N L) , power seems to be reversing lightly , showing phase supply in neutral .

When I disconnect them , everything is normal ! Any one noticed this ?

Make sure all your electrical outlets and appliances are properly grounded. Perhaps one of your appliances somewhere in the house has some leakage current. Take a tester and check that live and neutral are correct in all the outlets in the house. The right side hole in a 3pin socket should be LIVE and connected to the ON/OFF switch.

BE CAREFULL WHEN WORKING WITH HIGH VOLTAGE !!

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back