Power (Transformer) requirements for Sony PS-LX250H

jimmy_tulip

NOTE : I am not too familiar with electronics and have very little experience with DIY.

I own PS-LX250H turntable. During a recent voltage fluctuation, the the step-down transformer (I believe that is what it is called) got damaged. This is the heavy piece inside the turntable with converts 220V (or 110 V) to 12 V.

I want to replace this with one of the local made available, that we use for cordless phones, Set-top box etc.
However I am not able to find the proper power specifications for this

I believe this is 12 V, but I am not sure how much if "milliAMP" on this.
Tried chatting to Sony Customer Care, they do not know anything beyond 110V and 60Hz (got this from US).

NOTE : I am not too familiar with electronics and have very little experience with DIY.

I own PS-LX250H turntable. During a recent voltage fluctuation, the the step-down transformer (I believe that is what it is called) got damaged. This is the heavy piece inside the turntable with converts 220V (or 110 V) to 12 V.

I want to replace this with one of the local made available, that we use for cordless phones, Set-top box etc.
However I am not able to find the proper power specifications for this

I believe this is 12 V, but I am not sure how much if "milliAMP" on this.
Tried chatting to Sony Customer Care, they do not know anything beyond 110V and 60Hz (got this from US).

220v to 12v transformers are easily available here. The power requirement for Sony PS-LX250H is 2W @ 120V AC, 60HZ.

A 220v to 12v @ 1Amps transformer is enough for your purpose. You can always use a 12v stepdown transformer with higher Amps rating (>1 Amps) if space and weight of the transformer is not at issue.

Thanks,
Bibin

Thanks bibin3210.

Does having higher or lower AMP (with 12 V) anyway damage the equipment ?
I have couple of transformers lying around in house of 500 mA, 800 mA etc.

Did some googling and found that W = VA
So this turns out to be 2W = 12 V * 166 mA.

Is this calculations correct ? Pleae note that I use the built in amplifier in this turntable

Thanks bibin3210.

Does having higher or lower AMP (with 12 V) anyway damage the equipment ?
I have couple of transformers lying around in house of 500 mA, 800 mA etc.

Did some googling and found that W = VA
So this turns out to be 2W = 12 V * 166 mA.

Is this calculations correct ? Pleae note that I use the built in amplifier in this turntable

Using lower Amp transformer than the rated current requirement is not recommended. It won't damage your equipment in any way.

Try to find out the if the current rating is written somewhere on the current transformer. Otherwise from the weight and size of the transformer it is easy to assume the current rating of that transformer.

You can try your 12V 800 mA Transformer, if its dimension and weight is somewhere near to the one on the Sony.

Thanks,
Bibin

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back