pre amp

wlg

Hi
I have an Onkyo HTS-3300 receiver R-380, while using my turntable JVC stylus' output is too low, the manual suggest I use a moving coil head amp or moving coil transormer, I live in Mumbai someone in Bangalore is making them, any suggestions as to how to increase the output, or use a commericially available 12V amp from Lamington Road?
Tks

Hi, what you need is a Phono Stage. There are many options depending on your budget. Someone in the forum was selling a locally made phono stage sometime back. Also, Lyrita Audio makes audiophile grade phono stage whose owner Mr. Viren Bakshi is a forum member.

if your budget is under 10k, go for a NAD phono pre (from Lakozy). If you can strech your budget to 20-25k definitely grab what Viren Bakshi (Lyrita Audio) makes. it a life time solution.

i agree with Malvai...you need a NAD phono preamp...but here's something that you must also know...there are 2 types of magnetic cartridges...Moving Coil and Moving Magnet...from what you have written, I can safely assume that you use a Moving Magnet cartridge but your amp's input is designed for moving coil cartridges. Hence, the simple solution would be to get hold of a phono preamp and use it between the turntable and amp input (the input badged as "Aux"). Malvai has suggested that you buy NAD and I agree 100%...NAD is fantastic for any kind of quality vinyl listening at moderate cost....but you need to remember something while buying a NAD Phono preamp...NAD PP1 does not have a switchable input between MM and MC. NAD PP2 has a switchable input which increases your options and NAD PP3 comes with a USB output as well which can be used to wire your phono preamp to a computer for archiving your vinyl on CD....another option would be to go ahead and pick up an old NAD integrated amp or preamp and use its phono stage...happy listening!!

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back