Pre + Power setup - other thoughts

sudhirbhosale

Hi all
I heard lot good about pre-power setup. So I thought of setting up. Since those are costly stuff I thought below as alternative. But not sure technically those would come close to goal.
1. My integrated amp has pure direct mode which uses/activates only power amp section except volume control. So if i buy only pre-amp use pre-direct as power amp then is it fine?
2. Now a days many variety of headphone pre-apme available. Can i use those as pre-amp?
3. Using tube-preamp and solide-state power amp (hybrid combo) what are pros-cons?
Would be great if I get expert / experience thoughts upon above points
Thanks

Which integrated amp do you have ? An integrated amp has a pre amp and a power amp all in one box. So why do you want to add another pre amp to it ? What aspects of your music are you trying to improve ? what are your speakers ? room size, listening levels ?

If you can provide more information, maybe forum members will be able to help you better.

it all depends on what you get at a particular price point. There are integrated which outperforms pre-powers and vice versa. A proper pre- power will have dedicated design for the pre and power with optimal power supply for each. In a integrated due to the space contraints, pre and power sections are made with normally fewer parts. But then again, it totally depends how good is the design. Adding a tube as pre or headphone amp as pre would add the 'colour' of the tube or the sound character the headphone amp is having. Power amp if designed right must be characterless. But, its isnt a wise idea to add a powerful headphone amp as pre as some times the power amps would get damaged by the higher out put currents they have which is meant for driving a difficult headphone. I had tried an objective o2 on an integrated amp, with pre - power bridge. It sounded decent, but my integrated was better in my case.

In your case, if you are using an entry level int amp, and it may / may not sound better depending on the quality of the headphone amp or pre amp you are using. Its something to experiment with.

From a technical stand point, separates are superior.
If we talk about an integrated amp, and the same amp redesigned as pre and power...the separates will be better.

But an integrated is a simpler and less complex solution.
When you go for separates by intermixing models/brands, you will have to be very careful in matching the sensitivity and impedance for optimum performance.

Similarly you will have to take similar care when adding a tube in the midst.

It is mathematics... a pre + power has two outer boxes to pay for. So a pre+ power combination at a certain price might sound better than a cheaper integrated. That is provided the pre+power synergy is ideal.

So at a particular budget an integrated might out strip a pre + power combination of the same price, due to the synergy between the pre amp and power amp sections. And one less box to pay for :)

In your case, if you are using an entry level int amp, and it may / may not sound better depending on the quality of the headphone amp or pre amp you are using. Its something to experiment with.
My current amp is YAMAMA stereo amp RX-496. Not sure if it is entry level or mid level. Not sure how much more I may get after going for pre+power

Last edited:
Sudhir,

What are the other components have linked to the amp? Like source, dac / cd player, cables and speakers.

Sudhir- I agree with the feedback that you received from other members of this group. Your first question has been answered in detail and there is nothing more to add. Let me address the 2nd and 3rd questions.

Headphone pre-amplifiers or simply headphone amplifiers (more common) are designed keeping mind headphone speakers which have a very different impedance rating (higher sensitivity) than regular loudspeakers. So if you pair a headphone amplifier to a regular set of speakers or the reverse the performance would likely going to be compromised.

Now coming to tubes people like them because of their warm sweet mid-range sound. However tubes don't do justice to bass which needs brute amplification power better supplied by a solid-state component. This is why folks sometimes use tubes at the pre-amplification stage to get the warmth that is a signature tube sound and use a solid-state power amplifier which handles bass much better than its tube peer.
But this is somewhat colouring the sound and it is not for everybody. You have to listen to both all-sold-state and tube-solid-state combinations to find out the choice that suits your taste.
Hope that helps.

Sudhir- Your Yamaha RX 496 is a good entry level stereo receiver. You can definitely upgrade it and go for separates (pre-amplifier and power amplifier) according to your budget. But before doing that you need to revisit or clarify what in the current system is not performing as per your expectation. Is it electronics, speakers or something else like room interaction, dirty power, etc. Without this analysis doing any money spent on the upgrade would be less than optimal.
Thanks.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back