Preamp required for Bryston

Jawadylan

Looking for a tube preamp for my Bryston 4B SST power amplifier.
If anyone has one to sell, please let me know.
Looking for the likes of a Primaluna, Audionote, Audio Research, etc.
Thanks in advance.

You are on the right track looking for a tube preamp to partner with the solid state power amp. Bryston 4B is a sweet sounding amp. Not quite as dynamic as I would prefer. None the less good. I would stay away from newer Audio Research and Primaluna preamps. I do not know whether you require a phono stage. AudioNotes are reasonable quality but slightly coloured for my tastes. Audio Research SP-6 is a good preamp. Look out for second hand Spectral pres and power amps.

Acoustic portrait have launched there tube pre-amp. I am interested in them too.
Perhaps have a listen if you are in bangalore.

Thanks in advance.
Hi,
I have a EAR tube preamp with included phono section. It also has balanced I/O.
Let me know

Thanks in advance.

Actually depends on what you want. Modern tube amps and preamps are very close to SS in their sound . So if you are looking for that tube colouration, then going second hand for older tubes is a better option. Conrad Johnson, especially their older ones are very tubey and sweet sounding. Not sure where you can get those in India. But if you have a relative or friend in the USA, willing to lug them back. Then it might be a fit for you :)

Unless you have already tried, do check TVC from Music First Audio too.

I agree with Newlash09. He has summaised it beautfully. I n these days of digital hash at the source, every bit of warmth that tubes give is welcome. +1 for Conrad Johnson preamps of the seventies and eighties.
Mohan

In my conversation with Jawadylan, the critical aspect to consider is his source. Jawadylan is purely into vinyl only.

In my conversation with Jawadylan, the critical aspect to consider is his source. Jawadylan is purely into vinyl only.
Hello bud,
Correction here... Not purely into vinyl, but major part of my music collection is Vinyl.
I do own CD'S, but am more of a vinyl person.
My music is mostly Classic Rock, oldies, jazz, blues, etc... No new generation music whatsoever.
Dylan.

You are on the right track looking for a tube preamp to partner with the solid state power amp. Bryston 4B is a sweet sounding amp. Not quite as dynamic as I would prefer. None the less good. I would stay away from newer Audio Research and Primaluna preamps. I do not know whether you require a phono stage. AudioNotes are reasonable quality but slightly coloured for my tastes. Audio Research SP-6 is a good preamp. Look out for second hand Spectral pres and power amps.

Yes bud, am an avid Vinyl buff. My music is generally classic rock, jazz, blues, etc... No new age music at all.
I do own CD'S as well, but my collection is not as diverse as my Vinyl collection.

Dylan.

In citing good preamps of 30 years or older, I must caution you that the power supply electrolytic capacitors may need some attention to restore the performance to designed specs. A good technician can perform this. Do not exceed the designed capacitance values.

EAR, Croft Audio, Transcendant Sound are some preamps of the modern era that are very good performers.

Mohan

I have the bryston 4b and I have it matched to a lynn pretek. They are not easy to find but the sound is really warm natural and well separated right to left. My vynal is stunning with this set up the phono section is on par and excepinaly sweet. You can find them used for around 500. Good luck in your search

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back