Price for Onkyo 308 + Pure Acoustics Speakers

angynagpal

Hi,
I demoed the Onkyo 308 + Pure Acoustic satellite speakers yesterday and the price quoted to me was 46k. I was just going through these forums and read somewhere that the price quoted to others was around 39k. Is the price quoted to me wrong then?

Please help.

Basically I liked these speakers way over the Onkyo 3400 HTIB setup, and since my budget is max 50k now for a complete 5.1 setup, I thought Onkyo 308 + Pure Acoustics would be a good option, as everything else would go above budget.

Thanks for your time :)!

Please try and avoid Pure Acoustics. They may sound alright but the build quality is terrible and support is next to nil.

Please suggest me some speakers. I have gone through these forums and have even done a little market research, but now need to buy the speakers fast, as i need to get the wires concealed inside the walls.

I liked the sound and woofer of Boston Acqoustics the best.....more than polk 6750. I didnt like 3400 at all. The setup would be used for 60% movies and gaming and 40% music. I (and my wife) doesnt like the boomy sound....we like clarity of sound...something that doesnt hurt the ears even when loud.

Based on above, please suggest me what speakers I should look at for max budget 50k for 5.1 setup.

Am also very much interested in Energy Take Classic, but dont know where to demo them. Am from Delhi!

Also, my room size is pretty small, so it has to be satellites or smallish bookshelves (Maximum size can be similar to Mordaunt short speakers) :)!

Last edited:
I made the mistake of recommending 5 channel speakers from Pure Acoustics to a relative. Everything looked alright during the audition. After a year, the grill cloths have started to tear and the grill pins have snapped. Nothing wrong with the sound quality as there was no critical listening involved.

I suggest Wharfedale's any day over Pure Acoustics. You have several options from Yamaha, Energy, Jamo, etc. All well within your budget.

I made the mistake of recommending 5 channel speakers from Pure Acoustics to a relative. Everything looked alright during the audition. After a year, the grill cloths have started to tear and the grill pins have snapped. Nothing wrong with the sound quality as there was no critical listening involved.

I suggest Wharfedale's any day over Pure Acoustics. You have several options from Yamaha, Energy, Jamo, etc. All well within your budget.

Hi Sandeep, can you suggest some models in the brands you have mentioned? I need to do all auditions by saturday....so am kinda out of time :(!.

My max budget is 50k which includes cost for AVR as well.

If you liked Boston Acoustics, please go for them, they have good reviews all round.

The Denon + ETC combo is with snorkel4u, send him a PM to request him for a visit to his place for a demo.

Please suggest me some speakers. I have gone through these forums and have even done a little market research, but now need to buy the speakers fast, as i need to get the wires concealed inside the walls.

I liked the sound and woofer of Boston Acqoustics the best.....more than polk 6750. I didnt like 3400 at all. The setup would be used for 60% movies and gaming and 40% music. I (and my wife) doesnt like the boomy sound....we like clarity of sound...something that doesnt hurt the ears even when loud.

Based on above, please suggest me what speakers I should look at for max budget 50k for 5.1 setup.

Am also very much interested in Energy Take Classic, but dont know where to demo them. Am from Delhi!

Also, my room size is pretty small, so it has to be satellites or smallish bookshelves (Maximum size can be similar to Mordaunt short speakers) :)!

If you liked Boston Acoustics, please go for them, they have good reviews all round.

The Denon + ETC combo is with snorkel4u, send him a PM to request him for a visit to his place for a demo.

Yeah, but the combo price is too high :(! I was quoted 32k for denon 1611 and 35k for boston!

I do not have much exposure to home theater. Stay away from Onkyo speakers as they are useless. Onkyo sub woofers are alright. The receiver you have selected is a bare bones Onkyo model but will do the job. No HD though.

The Paradigm CT70 is a nice 5.1 speaker package. Going by the spec of the Onkyo TX-SR308, it should pair well too.

OK. Prices have fallen. Check with them again.

Oki...will do that :)! Thanks!

Another thing I wanted to ask, if I buy a 7.1 amp, is it possible to use only 5.1 setup when Im using it in DTS mode, and 7.1 when on stereo mode? The reason I ask this is because my room is not big enough for a 7.1 (the couch would be next to the wall), so I was thinking if I could put the two additional speakers in another part of the room and use it only when Im listening to music. IS this possible?

Also, does it make sense to implement front heights on a 9-10ft wall??? My TV would be at 6ft, while the front left and front right would be at 4.5ft approx. Does it make sense to go for front heights in such a setup, when the total height of the wall is 10ft?

I am trying to see if a 7.1 setup would make sense for me or not. I would not be moving out of this house for atleast 6-7 more years, so having surround rears would be out of question.

Last edited:
Another thing I wanted to ask, if I buy a 7.1 amp, is it possible to use only 5.1 setup when Im using it in DTS mode, and 7.1 when on stereo mode? The reason I ask this is because my room is not big enough for a 7.1 (the couch would be next to the wall), so I was thinking if I could put the two additional speakers in another part of the room and use it only when Im listening to music. IS this possible?

You can listen to only TWO speakers in STEREO mode. If you want to have two more speakers in another room, you need zone 2 feature in your AVR.

Also, does it make sense to implement front heights on a 9-10ft wall??? My TV would be at 6ft, while the front left and front right would be at 4.5ft approx. Does it make sense to go for front heights in such a setup, when the total height of the wall is 10ft?

I am trying to see if a 7.1 setup would make sense for me or not. I would not be moving out of this house for atleast 6-7 more years, so having surround rears would be out of question.

You won't have that surround effect without rears. Don't think about a 7.1 setup for now and go for a 5.1 setup. Find a way to have rears in the setup. I'm facing with the same problem (couch against the wall) and thinking of wall mounting the speakers tilting towards the sweet spot.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back