Principles of Speaker Design

jls001

Here's a very interesting an easy to understanding guide on building speakers:

Speaker Principles

The illustrations are very clear. The observations are very incisive (e.g. below, emphasis mine). Do read all four pages. For example, I learned from this article (page 4) that a ported cabinet is nothing but a variation of a Helmholtz resonator.

"Loudspeakers have principally remained unchanged for approx 50 years. There have been few improvements since their invention. One example is epoxy compounds for bonding voice coils to the cone to improve power handling.

The greatest advances have been in marketing where illusions of hearing differences are mostly generated by descriptions."

I agree with the observation highlighted in bold. I would like to add the price angle to that sentence. Description and price can affect peoples' hearing.

Marketing people really have some convincing power. That's why they get paid so handsomely I guess.

I agree with the observation highlighted in bold. I would like to add the price angle to that sentence. Description and price can affect peoples' hearing.

Marketing people really have some convincing power. That's why they get paid so handsomely I guess.
Not only marketing, but reviewers, end users all get into it. Reviewers offcourse for money as advertisements, but end users mostly for bragging (may be unknowingly) or unending thirst for newer things.

Although - I must say there are lots of advancements recently about wave guide. The industry has mostly settled on flat response and efficiency as well. Most speakers even in the budget pricing have flat response and are very efficient. Then next big thing that everyone is trying to achieve is wide dispersion and wider sweet spot. That's why we see all these new waveguides and different versions.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back