Problem of hum when I connect my Turntable to the Amplifiers

Dear Guys

I am facing a serious issue of hum when I switch on my amp while in Phono mode and connected to my TT. This hum is there even when the TT is off and comes even when it is just connected and I press the Phono button on the amp.Even while playing the LP the hum is so much that I cannot listen to the record properly.

My TT is a SANSUI P- L50 and it happens in any amp I connect to. Can anyone tell me the CARTRIDGE model for this TT as I think it was replaced when I gave it for repair.

Regards

TT has a ground wire ? The one and only TT I have without ground wire has a huge hum.
Your TT has a ground wire ?

Or they disconnected the ground to the cart when they opened the TT up.

Cool.
Srinath.

Dear Guys

I am facing a serious issue of hum when I switch on my amp while in Phono mode and connected to my TT. This hum is there even when the TT is off and comes even when it is just connected and I press the Phono button on the amp.Even while playing the LP the hum is so much that I cannot listen to the record properly.

My TT is a SANSUI P- L50 and it happens in any amp I connect to. Can anyone tell me the CARTRIDGE model for this TT as I think it was replaced when I gave it for repair.

Regards

Looks like an open ground wire. Please check this site How To Fix Turntable Hum: The Most Common Turntable Problem | Best Turntables

Thank you everyone. I have now moved my TT to the front room where I have kept a receiver. I have connected the ground wire to the receiver and the hum has reduced. The wires here are lesser and spacing more.

The RCA cable and power cable should be 90 degrees - or far away from each other.
Or use shielded cables. For even less hum.
There is a TT I have that has no ground wire at all.
It hums like crazy on my nad 1155->Proceed amp 5 -> Carver amazings.
But TT -> Yamaha rx V1 -> carver amazing = no hum. No clue why. LOL

Cool.
Srinath.

Dear Srinath

Turntables are I think like beautiful women. Very demanding and idiosyncratic. I tested it with my reciever a DENON AVR 3801 , the hum was reduced. i think there was a huge clutter of wires which accentuated the hum. But still I dont get the clarity when I had the original cartridge. I hope I get a good guy in Delhi to look at it, someone really knowledgeable about TTs.

Often hum is the noise from main power supply lines. Grounding all equipments is the first remedy. Also ensure that Live and Neutral are not interchanged any where. Get a competent electrician to check all wiring in your home to ensure that there is no leakge currents and also that live and neutral are not interchanged. If still the hum persists then call in a competent electronics engineer.
Also one must use shielded cables where ever this is demanded.
Regards
vg

.... ensure that Live and Neutral are not interchanged any where.
If it is then we have a lot bigger problem then just a humming stereo.

If still the hum persists then call in a competent electronics engineer.
99.9% of the engineers wont have an idea on what is going on.

Possible solutions to phono humming issues have already been posted in this and few other thread. As a benchmark a well connected system should have ZERO hum even with the volume turned up full. In most cases it should be barely audible at full volume.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back