Problem solving-looking for suggestions

GeorgeO

Folks

I'm facing an unexpected problem while installing my gold plated 5 way binding posts( bought from Partsconnexion, Canada) on my crude"chassis" for my 5 channel Hypex amp build. Let me try to explain as clearly as I can:

Each binding post ( which on the inside connects to the amp module and on the outside connects to speaker connectors)has a threaded shaft has two plastic washers, one to be placed on each side to insulate it.When I drilled the holes at the rear, I didnt realise that these are flat washers, and the shaft risks coming into contact with the body and short the speaker connections. If each washer had a small moulded projection that went into the hole that I had drilled-like an insert, and insulated the shaft this problem would not have risen. A few of them have but the majority dont.

The option that I am looking at now, is to go to SP Road and search for "grommet" like mouldings that will fit into the chassis holes, with holes in the centre to allow the binding post shaft to be inserted, and fastened to the chassis.

Any thoughts anyone?

TIA

Hi George,

I think you get the grommets that you require in rubber, will rubber be OK?

May be you can use the plastic washers from the regular binding posts, they normally come with the interlocking type of washers - ask for chassis mounting types. You can get good quality ones from the MX shop in SP road, they are situated at the parallel lane towards the beginning of SP road and diagonally behind OM electronics.

Regds.

George,

You may use a acrylic of bakelite (plastic) plate to mount the binding posts and secure this to your chasis, for which a cut out is required (maybe too late for this mod).

Is it possible to insulate the shaft of the binding post with thermal sleeve or just tape so that they do not short?

Just wild suggestions...

Thanks for the suggestions.
Denom: I feel rubber may not be as good a solution as plastic/bakelite, since it may deteriorate over time.

Antony: I think the interlocking type of plastic washer is the best solution to prevent the binding post from rotating once it is mounted. I have a few of them -the plastic washer has a small projection on it which acts as a lock-all one needs to do is to file the hole to accommodate this.

Shankar: Not a wild solution but definitely an option that I am considering-a short length of sleeve of either plastic or something similar, for the shaft to be inserted, and then washers on booth sides.

I plan to make a trip to SP Road tomorrow to see what's available. Will definitely drop in at the MX dealer at the entrance of SP Road.

If you approve of a "Jugaad" kind of arrangement then you can cut pieces of a plastic sketch pen body and pass it through the hole. Should do the trick.:eek:hyeah:

What does "jugaad" mean? I prefer to doa proper solution since I plan to migrate froma crude MS chassis into a proper good cab in the not too distant future.The first version is designed to solve problems like this, so that the migration becomes easy.

dont worry there is a perfect thingy for this , use HEAT SHRINK TUBING. Cut small pieces and insulate.Apart from this u can use the removed sleeve from a 3 core wire or pneumatic tubing piece.

What does "jugaad" mean? I prefer to doa proper solution since I plan to migrate froma crude MS chassis into a proper good cab in the not too distant future.The first version is designed to solve problems like this, so that the migration becomes easy.

"Jugaad" means a makeshift arrangement.

Ok I got back from SP Road and after some walking and enquiring, finally found my solution. I bought a 1/4 mt of silicone rubber tubing that I will use as my first layer of insulation and then a 1 mt length of plastic heat shrink tube that will go on tip of the rubber as the outer layer. I will need to drill a slightly larger hole in the chassis to accommodate this but that's not difficult.I bought some extra lengths of both since I will be doing some experimenting. Up and down by auto cost Rs 90 while tubing cost Rs 25.Hopefully money well spent!

Update:

This has been assembled ina a nice chassis and the mechanical assembly is done.There are basically four components- a R Core transformer(500VA), a soft start, a power supply PCB and 5 Hypex Class D amp modules mounted on a plate. In addition to these items there are the normal hardware, RCAs, binding posts,IEC connector, on/off switch and led. I will try and post a picture tomorrow.The soldering and testing is going on, and I hope it will be ready in a day or two.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back