Program wattage and recommended Input?

newtoaudio90

Hi guys I am looking at some speakers that have a recommended input of 20-150 watts and a 'program wattage' of 150 watts.

What exactly is the 'program wattage'?

According to an audiophile most listening occurs from .5 to 1 watt.

Why do speakers have a minimum of say 20 watts in this case? Is 150 the peak power?

Can someone basically explain these terms to me in the case of this speaker. Thanks :)

am not sure why you want speakers with that sort of wattage. are you limited to it by an amp that you have? dont worry too much about specs apart from them serving as a benchmark. whats your current / planned set up, approx budget and listening habits

Dear newtoaudio, I had a suggestion. You can start a single thread with all your queries in 'what should I buy' section rather than starting many threads. i hope you have noted the 'search' option in the tool bar. secondly, rather than thinking too much about specs, just carry your T amp to dealer and try it with speakers. That will solve most of your problems. No issues about asking technical/theoretical questions but theory and practical can be vastly different. :)

Sorry I didnt realize everyone frequently visited the same threads. And in response to the earlier question I am getting the Psb image b5s and was hoping to get the topping tp20 t-amp rather than a larger amp as its apparently better quality. I am using this in my study within a few feet of me on my pc desk.

However I would like to move them
Into the living room once I have
Ore room. I am
More concerned about good speakers and upgrading an amp then visa versa. Unfortunately I cannot trial speakers :( I'm
In the bush ( many kms from any city)and have to buy online.

I know theory is different but in my case I have to rely on this research. Thanks all the same :) I'll try not to double post nay more (sorry)

If you don't mind, how far is the city? I feel that even if the travel and audition cost you 15-20% of your speaker cost, it is still worth it. Buying anything audio related based on net reviews/opinions is extremly risky because the appreciation of sound is so subjective. Buying without audition may land you in vicious circle of selling almost new equipment at low cost, buying new again without audition and so on due to dissatisfaction. If you have 'return policy' for new products there in Australia, then you may take such risk.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back