Projector, AVR from Australia under Rs.1 Lakh.

shreyansqt

Hi,
First, let me introduce myself. I am Shreyans, from Delhi. I am new to this forum and don't know much about high-end AV equipment. I am really fond of watching movies and TV shows. So, naturally, I needed a good home theatre arrangement for myself. Luckily, my dad decided to reconstruct our home where I got a big-ass room for myself. :eek:hyeah:

Now, I need the AV equipment for my bedroom-cum-home-theatre. My room size is 13ft length & 10ft width. Average viewing distance would be around 9ft. My total budget is Rs. 1 Lakh in which I need the following.

1. Projector - 1080p.
2. 5.1 AVR
3. Speakers
4. Network HDD

My usage will be 80% for movies and 20% for music. I already have a Google TV, i.e. Logitech Revue that I will be using to stream all of my media.

Luckily, my brother is going to Australia for his honeymoon in February 2014.:yahoo: I found out that projectors are quite cheap there. Please read following of my queries. Thanks in advance for your help.

1. Projector

First of all, I need a projector. My eyes are on the BenQ W1070 (944 AUD ~ 51,800 INR) and Acer H6510BD (827 AUD ~ 45,400 INR).:licklips: I have read reviews of both on projectorcentral.com. I am tending more towards BenQ W1070. Does anybody of you have first hand experience with any of these? Should I consider other brands like

Also, will it work fine in India, regarding voltage issues? As I can see on http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...rte_der_Netzspannungen_und_Netzfrequenzen.svg , India & Australia both have 220V, 50 Hz electricity.

Obviously, I will not be getting any warranty in India. Or does any company have worldwide warranty for projectors? If not, then will I get any spares or paid technical support if somehow a problem arises?

If my brother avoids customs and uses green channel on T3 airport, will he face any trouble? I have asked him to ditch the packaging there only and keep the projector in his cabin baggage.

About screen, I am planning to make a DIY fixed frame screen. I would need good quality screen cloth (matt white) for that. Do you have any idea where I can get that in Delhi?

2. AV Receiver
I havent looked up AVRs on Australian websites. For a basic AVR, I was considering Yamaha RX-373 (25k in India). Should I consider other brands like Onkyo, or Pioneer?

Should I invest in features such as Airplay (I use apple products, :eek:hyeah:) or I can always use Google TV for that, or even upgrade to Apple TV.

3. Speakers
What good quality speakers can I get in my budget i.e. approx. 15k (assuming 50k for projector, 25k for AVR, 10k for Network HDD). I know this is very less for good speakers. Maybe I could go for only front 2 & a subwoofer at the moment.
I need the speakers to be wall mountable. The front ones, I would prefer them to be long like the standing ones but mountable. Subwoofer can obviously be kept on ground.

4. Network HDD
I only know about WD My Book Live 2TB available for Rs. 9800 on Flipkart. My concern is, will it be able to download torrents and also schedule the hours of download to night only? Also, will I be able to stream video content directly to Google TV or Apple TV without any conversion (formats like MKV, AVI etc.).

I hope I am clear in the description of my requirements. I am attaching a few pictures of my room so that you can get an idea about the placement of the screen and equipment. All necessary wiring has been done.:clapping:

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks once again in advance.

Shreyans Jain

Attachments

• IMG_1135.jpg
    IMG_1135.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_1137.jpg
    IMG_1137.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 141
Australian prices are as much or more than indian prices. Plus factor in the shipping cost and customs and it doesn't make any sense at all.

Most of my friends in aussie land import their stuff from elsewhere as local prices are simply too high.

Hi, for the custom's part, I have asked my brother to simply ditch the packing and keep the projector cushioned between his clothes.. He can just say that he carries the projector to give presentations in business meets.. Will that not be enough?

Hi Shreyas,

What did you finally end up doing?

I find prices in Australia are a hit and miss. Some items offer 30% saving over Indian prices (e.g. latest AVR) whereas others are more expensive (e.g. Wharfedale diamond 230 speakers).

I can avail the transfer of residence facility with 15% duty so curious how to go about this.

Not hell bent on buying in Australia - but aim is to get a good stereo setup for now and a projector on the side.

Go for the Optoma HD141X projector. It's got good reviews and great prices in the US ($450 approx) and even with shipping/customs will reach approx INR 50K. If you're bringing from Australia, it should turn out to be cheaper.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

As for speakers, if you're spending 15K, got ought to look at the Logitech Z5500 setup (or the other Z506 model which has now replaced it).

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back