PS3 region free

neo9999

hi,

Has anyone bought a PS3 from Us and converted it to region free BD playable in India? any contacts from Pune who has done this?

i dont think ps3 blu ray could be made region free correct me if i am wrong.

games afaik are region free

there exists such people like here in Kolkata, chandni area who do this at 1000, they also sell modded PS3s and in that give unliimited downloaded games supply.

AFAIK, The mod mentioned above i.e. custom firmware seems to only work with DLed games and not BD.

You may be right but these guys claimed of making BD also region free, they seem to replace a chip inside. But no owner s of PS3 I know who can vouch for the BD part./

if you know someone who has got it done, maybe loan a few BRs to him and he can find out for you (for us) :)

There's no chips used for this, no hardware involved. If you've got a modded PS3, then some custom firmwares have this built into them--like ReBUG. For other normal custom firmwares, it simply involves placing a text file in the flash according to the preferred region. The region coding resets itself on reboot.

Has anyone tried reaching out to Sony Center stores and checking if they would do make it region free? after all its a sony product. Its just that its bought from another country. :)

Kumar - thanks. do you have a modded PS3 and have you verified this?

You're most welcome. I have a fat (original) 60G and a slim 250G. The fat is modded--used mainly SACD playback, Showtime (MKV/FLAC playback), AVCHDs and ROM emulation. The slim is updated and used for games.

And yes, I can verify the region free trick works..only for BD though..DVD is locked. PM me if you need more info. Cheers

You're most welcome. I have a fat (original) 60G and a slim 250G. The fat is modded--used mainly SACD playback, Showtime (MKV/FLAC playback), AVCHDs and ROM emulation. The slim is updated and used for games.

And yes, I can verify the region free trick works..only for BD though..DVD is locked. PM me if you need more info. Cheers

Hi Kumarb, where did you get it modded in and around Delhi? This might save me some money which I am planning to use for a region A player. :yahoo:

@kray

There's no reason to go anywhere. You can do it yourself..IF your PS3 is on a moddable firmware (which basically means you haven't updated in the last 1 and a half years time). You simply install a custom firmware of your liking via the USB update process. It's as simple as that. Google baba will direct you aptly in your quest.

thanks kumarab. I've updated the firmware in the past 6 months. So does that mean, I cannot do anything further?

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back