Purchased Bose Soundlink Mini today.

pradeepkamat

Today, I Purchased a Bose Soundlink Mini, Blutooth speaker from local Bose store for Rs.16200/-

I was surprised to see its mind boggling performance.
I could not believe my ears with its deep bass performance,(for its size) which it created with its 2 size speakers. Overall listening experience was quite wonderful.

No positioning restrictions.
No calibration.
No sweet spot for listening.
No acoustic treatment required.
Very simple to operate

Let me confess, that I was biased by adverse opinions of many audiophiles on the forum about Bose products. But when I heard this product in the store, I immediately decided to buy it.

Let us keep aside the grammer of audiophiles i.e. highs, mids, lows, bright, warm etc. etc. Bose products are sweet listening experience to ears.
I am a Kan(ear)sen & dont want to debate on the grammer of audio. Listening experience & satisfaction from rendering of music more important to me and that I am sure to get from this product.

Congrats! So a "bose man" is here. It has good reviews too. If you are satisfied that's it! Nothing more!
Only one grudge there... "its pricey" like all other Bose products. Did you try other products like JBL wireless products? Can you explain what made you decision for bose? Any comparison before you bought?

Congrats. Don't worry about any paranoia surrounding it.
For its size and functionality, though pricey, they are certainly good.
As sgmane said, if you are satisfied, nothing else matters.

OT: Today I placed order for JBL Micro wireless for my tab. Will see how it sounds.

Congrats mate.

Bose is good though pricey. I remember auditioning a home theater setup a few years ago... they produced 5.1 surround sound with only 2 front speakers. Watched Arnie's T2 on it and the motorbike chase scene demonstrated proper 5.1 SFX on it... we liked it so much we auditioned those speakers a 2nd time.

Congrats! So a "bose man" is here. It has good reviews too. If you are satisfied that's it! Nothing more!
Only one grudge there... "its pricey" like all other Bose products. Did you try other products like JBL wireless products? Can you explain what made you decision for bose? Any comparison before you bought?

I did not try JBl wireless but tried jbl flip at Reliance (opp.bose store in the same mall) With first listening only, I did not like its sound quality. It was much cheaper around Rs.6000/- But when immediately I went to Bose shop and listened to Soundlink Mini, it was way ahead of JBL flip. Only the cost was very very high, but still decided to go for it.

The Bose Soundlink mini really sounds nice for what it is.....a mini speaker. Bose has very effectively implemented the two passive bass radiators.

If size is not a big concern for you and if you want to go for the next level in the portable sound system for some extra cash, then nothing can beat the Sonos Play 5 in the portable speaker segment.

I did not try JBl wireless but tried jbl flip at Reliance (opp.bose store in the same mall) With first listening only, I did not like its sound quality. It was much cheaper around Rs.6000/- But when immediately I went to Bose shop and listened to Soundlink Mini, it was way ahead of JBL flip. Only the cost was very very high, but still decided to go for it only for sound quality.

Last week I bought this product SOUNDLOGIC ?: Melody Speakers to pair with Google Nexus 7. It is retailing out in most of the online shops for Rs.5900/- I bought it from Alfa, Mumbai for Rs.3900/-.

Functionwise its pretty good. It could control play functions and volume through the keys in device. Its capable of charging 2 devices at any point of time.

Now the sound quality is good enough for casual music listening and watching videos. No distortion or any such thing. But it sounds a bit hollow. Audiophiles may have to stay away.

OT: Today I placed order for JBL Micro wireless for my tab. Will see how it sounds.

santy: great! Do provide your experience on JBL Micro wireless. May be i can go for it too if its decent enough. Looking for a less, decent wireless in that price range or less to go with the tab. (The tab speaker is too low. I see there is a App to enhance the sound output. Need to check that)

The Bose Soundlink mini really sounds nice for what it is.....a mini speaker. Bose has very effectively implemented the two passive bass radiators.

If size is not a big concern for you and if you want to go for the next level in the portable sound system for some extra cash, then nothing can beat the Sonos Play 5 in the portable speaker segment.

I totally agree with Vivek on Sonos. The first time I heard them, I was TOTALLY blown away with the sound quality and its ability to fill a medium sized bedroom. On top of that the features and convenience it offers is absolutely fantastic.

I heard the Play-3 and the overall sound was excellent. Bass was perfect. I would assume Play-5 to be even more great when it comes to bass.

Sonos is the top item in my shopping list for my next US trip :D. I think its way too overpriced in India :(

Thanks,
John.

The Soundlink sound pretty nice for its size, its a neat looking product too. As always the complain against it is like all other Bose products is that it is overpriced. If the price is not a factor then it certainly is a nice product.

I did not try JBl wireless but tried jbl flip at Reliance (opp.bose store in the same mall) With first listening only, I did not like its sound quality. It was much cheaper around Rs.6000/- But when immediately I went to Bose shop and listened to Soundlink Mini, it was way ahead of JBL flip. Only the cost was very very high, but still decided to go for it.

You don't need to be defensive for your decision my friend. Let the Bose haters fume. Just enjoy your music.

As for Bose being poor value: recently I dedicated one full week auditioning speakers. I came across products that were 1/20th the price but sounded as good as one 20 times it's price (if not better). And no, this is no fluke. I advise people to audition those at their own pace and draw their own conclusions rather than go by mine.

Moral of the story? Hifi (audiophile) industry is full of poor VFM components. There are tons of manufacturers out there that are selling poor sounding gear for shockingly obnoxious prices. (There is a term often used for the same; snake oil) Unfortunately, influential people don't have courage to criticize those high-end manufacturers. Bose on the other hand got into the target of some reviewers with high readership. Their criticism caught up and turned a bunch of irrational people into unconditional Bose-haters. Let me tell you, a lot of people who criticize a Bose product, may never have even heard it. They just assume, if it is from Bose, it must be sounding crap and must be ridiculously priced.

So my advice: When someone criticizes your choice to go for a certain brand (be it Bose or any other), you don't have to be defensive. If you like what you bought, just ignore the critiques.

Last edited:
I was also looking for a budget speaker for Tab and ipod.
Is this the JBL Micro Wireless 1 Bluetooth speaker?
JBL Micro Wireless 1 Channel Bluetooth Speakers - JBL: Flipkart.com
Flipkart price is Rs.3145 (MRP 3999). Is this the best price?

Bose products are not as bad as advertised by some "audiophiles". Bose is the pioneer in producing large sound from small drivers. Most Americans and Europeans don't like Bose because of its Indian/Asian origin and its sad to see that we Indians are doing the same without even understanding the real motive of our western brothers....very sad.....

Guys, recently I purchased JBL FLIP and let me tell you the sound is just awesome and I am thinking of buying their Cinema 500 5.1 speakers for music listening

Hmmm....the usual 'Bose or no Bose' argument is about to be in full swing here as well, I won't want to contribute to that.
However I had ample opportunity to listen to the Soundlink Mini at my sister's place over the Diwali weekend. I have to say I am impressed. For its size it offers fulsome volume and clarity, it is positively tiny and cute, but it does take you aback with its performance. Make no mistake this is NEVER a replacement for your existing proper stereo setup that you played with, put together after painstaking research, trial and error, but this definitely is fabulous for casual listening. I personally would have bought it if it was not 16.5K. So buy it if you can afford and have the need for such a tiny beautiful sounding product.

recently I dedicated one full week auditioning speakers. I came across products that were 1/20th the price but sounded as good as one 20 times it's price (if not better). "

You have made my job easier as i am based in Delhi. Can you indicate which of the speakers you found value for money? although i would definitely audition them to my satisfaction this would give me some indicators. Since this thread is about Bose speaker, you could PM me if you so desire.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back