Quad 606

S. Basu

Hii,

I am Soumyajit from Kolkata, recently I have purchased a used Quad Power Amp 606 MKI from South India Kochi as advice from a Forum member. After received the amp I connected with Power notice that a humming sound is coming into the amp and the amp also little vibrating. I contact with the seller, he replied that this sound is coming from the beginning and it's not harmful for my speaker. It's a manufacturing defect. My question is is it harmful for my system? How can i resolve the problem, the sound very is really annoying.

I notice a other problem, when I play old song like Hemanta, Lata before 80's sound is cracking. How can I resolve this problem?

Further, I need some information about this amp, I am planing to upgrade this amp with MK II version, is it worthiness? How much i'll get sound improvement if i upgrade it to MK II version?

I am using SYS passive pre amplifier with my Power amp for temporary basis and sound is satisfactory, can u give me a suggestion what will the best compact able pre amp with this Power amp.

Kindly suggest is valuable for me.

Quad 606 is a good power amp.But it seems to be amplifier may be malfunctioned with bad servicing or might be loose contact during shipping,otherwise it will not vibrate.Get help of a good technician and check if something bad inside the power amp.My recommendation is do not upgrade now.

Also please don't connect speaker to the amp check it with technician first.The amp may have two issues

1. Oscillation might be if yes it will damage your tweeter
2. DC offset if its hi than 1 mv then it will damage your entire speaker drivers badly.

So get help of an technician first

Take the amp in your arms and shake it and see if there is any loose wires or something that might be causing the sound. Also place the amp in the ground and see if the sound exists. Might be the amp is not properly grounded on the four sides....just a wild thought. Might well be a simple issue, but we tend to think its something serious. If the issue still persists, please speak to the manufacturer.

Thanks for your suggestion. According to your opinion I am not upgrading my amplifier Mark II version. At first I trying to resolve my amplifier power supply problem. Further I notice that old songs like Hemanta/Lata etc sound has little cracked.

How to resolve the problem.

Before you damage your speakers get the Transformer and output stages checked by Mr Ashok Mondal in Kolkata.

Thanks for your suggestion Mr Anuj,

I had alreday discussed this matter with Mr. Ashok Mondal, he assure me that It's not a big issue and not effected / damage to your speaker.

Still i replied to resolve the problem of the amp because the bumming sound it very annoying. I also requested him to upgrade it into MARK II version for better clarity of this amp.

Before you damage your speakers get the Transformer and output stages checked by Mr Ashok Mondal in Kolkata.

Hiii,

Thanks for your opinion. I had tried as wast u say, I replace this amp but sound still come. I contacted with the manufacturer "Mr. Rob Flain, IAG Group Service Manager for: Quad - AudioLab Wharfedale/PRO - Mission - Castle
Address: IAG Service department, Units 13/14, Glebe Road, St Peters Industrial Estate, Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire, PE29 7DL" he replied Its not harmful to the speaker. Still I discussed this matter with Mr. Ashok Mondal he is the best technician in this ground in Kolkata for repair it.

I wanted to upgrade it in Mark II version, some of the people suggested to upgrade for better clarity.

Thanks for your opinion. I had replace my amp position in diffarent place, but same bumming sound appear into the amp. Recently I contacted with Quad service center regarding this problem and got the reply from "Mr. Rob Flain, IAG Group Service Manager for: Quad - AudioLab Wharfedale/PRO - Mission - Castle" assure me It's not harmful to the speaker. Recently I contact with local technician in Kolkata Mr. Ashok Mondal and discuss this matter and request him to resolve this problem.

Further, I wanted to upgrade it in Mark II version, many user advice to upgrade for fell better sound-stage.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back