Question about AIRPLAY enabled devices

gurujee

I listen apple music mostly - I don't purchase or download and always listen online. At home, I stream to receiver(Pioneer 524k) through Bluetooth(Logitech device), thus compromise on quality. Hence I was planning to get an Apple TV and stream music directly from its inbuilt music app. Then I recalled many devices are now a days airplay enabled. Pioneer BDP 180 Bluray Player seems to has it, so as Marantz 1506 receiver.

My doubt is whether I can stream online music(music not stored on phone) from Apple Music app to Pioneer BDP 180 via airplay or not ?

I simply can get an Apple TV but except the apple music and some Tune in stations I have no much use of it. And I have read the quality of sound will be better from Pioneer BDP 180, even more better from Marantz 1506 receiver.

I use Jio mobile hotspot currently which provide internet to all my devices.

From an apple device you can stream anything, music on device, music from music apps like gaana.com, etc. It stream everything. That's how my setup is used by my wife via her iPhone.

MaSh

Sent from my Redmi Note 3

From an apple device you can stream anything, music on device, music from music apps like gaana.com, etc. It stream everything. That's how my setup is used by my wife via her iPhone.

MaSh

thank you. i am too using iphone. can anything be streamed to airplay-enabled pioneer bdp 180?

thank you. i am too using iphone. can anything be streamed to airplay-enabled pioneer bdp 180?
The iPhone, ipod and ipad in the house stream every thing to my marantz receiver which airplay enabled.

MaSh

Allmost all kind of audio can be streamed over airplay. If the receiving device supports airplay, be it airport express, apple tv, pioneer etc, it will work

Sent from my SM-N750 using Tapatalk

Hope you already have BDP 180, if not dont spend the money on it just to have Airplay. Get a Raspberry Pi 2, install Moode and there you go you have an Airplay device. For better quality get a cheap USB DAC like FiiO E10 connect it to Rpi and your speakers. The entire setup will still land you much cheaper than getting BD 180 and it works perfectly.

Anything you play on your iPhone can now be streamed over Airplay via Rpi

You can stream to any device that has inbuilt Apple AirPlay. An easier option is to buy an Apple router that will let you connect all Apple devices on the local area network.

You can stream to any device that has inbuilt Apple AirPlay. An easier option is to buy an Apple router that will let you connect all Apple devices on the local area network.

Hope you already have BDP 180, if not dont spend the money on it just to have Airplay. Get a Raspberry Pi 2, install Moode and there you go you have an Airplay device. For better quality get a cheap USB DAC like FiiO E10 connect it to Rpi and your speakers. The entire setup will still land you much cheaper than getting BD 180 and it works perfectly.

Anything you play on your iPhone can now be streamed over Airplay via Rpi

Wow, Thank You very very much for the guidance. Though I am new to this, will try this for sure.

Which would have better sound quality - Rpi+dac or bdp180 ?

all your airplay devices will show up on your Apple phone/device . YOu can choose to cast to anyone. As mentioned lot of device options. P.s You can even airplay from Apple music/Itunes on windows pc but not from android phone.

Wow, Thank You very very much for the guidance. Though I am new to this, will try this for sure.

Which would have better sound quality - Rpi+dac or bdp180 ?

Rpi + a good DAC actually goes in the realms of an Audiophile grade quality ,,,,need I say more ...:)

You can do everything from Android including Airplay.
Not everyone can or would necessarily want to root their phone just for airplay
Also, some banking apps (like Stan C) and most corporate email apps will not run at all on a rooted phone

On the topic, the easiest way to airplay enable a speaker is airport express
A cheaper option would be to look for airplay streaming devices on ebay (typically 2-2.5K) - You may however want to read up more about the chosen model if you are finicky about the quality of the DAC inside

Also, some banking apps (like Stan C) and most corporate email apps will not run at all on a rooted phone

On the topic, the easiest way to airplay enable a speaker is airport express
A cheaper option would be to look for airplay streaming devices on ebay (typically 2-2.5K) - You may however want to read up more about the chosen model if you are finicky about the quality of the DAC inside
An app called allplay on Android app store allows me to dlna as well as airplay from my android phone. My phone is not rooted.

MaSh

An app called allplay on Android app store allows me to dlna as well as airplay from my android phone. My phone is not rooted.

MaSh

Only for content that the app can play within itself...

It won't let you airplay say Apple Music or Wynk (or any other similar service) to an airplay receiver

Only for content that the app can play within itself...

It won't let you airplay say Apple Music or Wynk (or any other similar service) to an airplay receiver

Yes thats correct. For whole package one needs to spend the money and get an Apple device.

MaSh

You dont need to root your phone to use Airplay. Its only if you wanna Airplay from streaming services like Spotify, you need root, and rooting is no more techie these days as it used to be.

Last edited:
You dont need to root your phone to use Airplay. Its only if you wanna Airplay from streaming services like Spotify, you need root, and rooting is no more techie these days as it used to be.

please recommend some good android app to do airplay from streaming services . I have Airplay enabled Yamaha receiver and want to stream using Wynk . i have root on my S7

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back