Question about axial capacitor polarity

nowwhat?

Need a quick answer. I am upgrading my Quad 306 which stopped working thanks to my handiwork and I only just realized that some 8 axial capacitors that I put in have polarity.

Following picture shows the old capacitor (which looks like a resistor) on top and the replacement capacitor from another kit below. Both capacitors are 180pF.

capacitor.jpg

My question is how does one find the polarity of both these capacitors?

The old one has the old capacitor markings which I deciphered as Brown-Grey-Brown for 180pf. Does it mean that I go by the direction of the reading and that the positive terminal is on the left and the negative terminal on the right?

The new one has 180 written on it and there is a blue band. Does the side with the blue band indicate that it is the negative terminal? What confounds me is that some other capacitors have a blue band on the left. Do I just go by the blue band?

Also after much reading I found that the MKT and MKS4 capacitors do not seem to have polarity. Is that right?

I am no good at reading circuit diagrams, otherwise I may have been able to identify the ground and figure out the polarity, hence the above. Thanks!

Film caps do not have polarity. You can connect it anyway. But some have the outer layer marked. Maybe that's why that blue line. Connect the outer layer to the source which has a lower output impedance. Will keep that foil layer closer to ground potential.

i have never seen caps like that, but i am not familiar with old gear. it looks like an inductor to me. Are u sure its a cap to begin with. do u have an lcr meter?
the new one also looks quite different, is that a polystyrene cap?

the one legged component on top is most probably an inductor. capacitors like this normally have a rose-pink colour. did you checked the continuity? what circuit area it is connected?

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back