Question on Speaker Wire setup.

Kevian

Hello,

Should the speaker wires of left and right channel be of equal length? I bought MS Carnival 6 speakers from Pranab. The right speaker of my setup has 4+ meters length of speaker wire and left one has around 2 meters speaker wire. My left speaker opens up nicely but right speaker seems singing for itself. I swapped the speakers, even then left one opens up but the right one mumbles. One more thing to consider is the speaker wire for the right speaker is an unused out of the box wire where as the right speaker wire was used for like 1+ years. Any pointers where I've gone wrong in setting up my system??

Btw, dealing with Pranab was excellent and quick delivery. Did the online transaction on 9th and got the shipment today. Thank you Pranab.

Regards,

Yes, the speaker wire for both channels must be of the same length.

If the right speaker still has issues after you swapped the wire, the problem is likely to be with the right speaker itself and not the wire.

They do say that a speaker wire that has been used for some time (= burnt in) will sound different from a fresh piece of wire. But considering you swapped the wire and checked the speakers, this should not have affected things.

Are you sure you got the polarity correct at the right speaker while connecting the wire? And is the balance knob on the amp at the 12'oclock position?

Yes ideally speaking the cables for both left and right speakers should be of equal length, same brand and gauge and possibly equal usage.

Did you check the polarity correctly?

Should the speaker wires of left and right channel be of equal length?
In theory, they should be. I have to confess that it is one of things I always followed slavishly: I really, really doubt that we can hear the delay, or the added resistance, of an extra 2m of wire.

You are an experienced member, so questions of the "is it turned on?" level are not really in order, but a good support staff member always covers the basics, whoever they are talking to, so ... are you absolutely sure you could not have swapped + and - on one speaker? Just, wiring speakers out of phase is the obvious answer to lack of stereo effect.

<crossposted> You now have three votes for wrong polarity! And I forgot about the balance control, so fail the test for giving level-one support <Blush>

Last edited:
I am so sorry Guys. Thad Sir, I've proved myself a noob indeed. :eek: It was not any polarity or wire length issue. It is the previously saved setup of Audissey EQ settings :lol: Did a fresh Audissey setup again...System is full blown now. for 18K Carnival 5 & 6 was bang for buck AFAIK.

@Pranab

Everything is fine except rubber feet for the center speaker. It is not there in the shipment. But manual has instructions how to fix the rubber feet to carnival 5?? Am I missing something here?

Thanks a lot for the support Gentlemen

cheers!!

Last edited:
Problem solved, good.

The day I stop doing silly things, or missing the obvious will be the day no forum ever hears from me again!

FYI, I have speakers set-up in my room, with unequal lengths running to the amp & so far have not noticed any issue with the difference in sound reproduction from LH & RH Speakers. Speaker wire used is brand new & of same guage/make. Have done LH/RH Channel running only & found nothing out of order sound wise too.

Kevian, out of curiosity am asking: why are you using old wire for 1 speaker & 1 new wire for the other????

Although I still use same lengths of wore on both sides of speakers (Left and Right) however I think for a meter or two difference no one can point out the difference by bare ears. Moreover when you will do the Audessy setup, it will compensate for the difference if the mic is able to detect it.

Take a pair of active computer/monitor speakers. The amp is one cabinet, connected to the speakers inside the same box, then there is a cable to the other speaker. No attempt to equalise the lengths there, and, of course, they could not know just exactly how the customer would use/position them anyway. Not just talking about cheap computer speakers: some very expensive monitor equipment will still be like this.

In many real-life situations, the speakers are going to be far more influenced by position and room acoustics than by a metre or two of wire.

On the other hand, unless one is buying really exotic stuff, making them equal is neither expensive nor difficult, bar some extra wire to coil up out of site --- so why not!

On the other other hand, someone who is buying really exotic stuff is likely to obey the "rule" and unlikely to worry about the final cost.

Could it affect anything except the balance, anyway?

Kevian, out of curiosity am asking: why are you using old wire for 1 speaker & 1 new wire for the other????

Previously, I used DefTech 800s as my front and the placement was close to onkyo 606. But, after I bought carnival 6 FS spkrs, left speaker being close to the receiver didn't have the need for new wire. For right speaker, the wire had to go up the door frame and come down, so the old wire wasn't lengthy enough. Hence, new wire. Wires are from the same company.

Hi,

I have a 3.0 setup now with all MS speakers. And I would like to use my DefTech 800s as surround speakers hooked to the walls behind the sofa to complete 5.0 setup. The problem is my living room's length is 21 feet. I have to scale 21 feet plus 2+2 meters on the side walls(2 meters each). So there is a good requirement of speaker wire of 100ft in future.

So, is this a good deal? considering future requirements of 7.0 setup? don't want to buy wires every now and then.

$%28KGrHqV,!iME3S7mkWEhBN3eicJOuw~~0_12.JPG

Premium 14/2 Awg 100ft CL2 Speaker Wire | Cable - Oxyg | eBay

or should I go with some Finolex cable. Which one is recommended? and Pricing? Any Idea?

thanks
Kevian

Flexible finolex 2.5 or 4 SQM wire will do the job perfectly.

Regards...

Hey Xiro,

sq.mm?

I have seen your post about you using electric cable for your PSB T6speakers.
1) Do you have any opinions after using such an expensive speakers with electric cables?
2) These wires have strands?
3) Any idea about per meter price?

Thank you for responding bro

cheers!!

Hey Xiro,

sq.mm?

I have seen your post about you using electric cable for your PSB T6speakers.
1) Do you have any opinions after using such an expensive speakers with electric cables?
2) These wires have strands?
3) Any idea about per meter price?

Thank you for responding bro

cheers!!

By SQ.MM I meant millimetre square, it's wire cross sectional area. My speaker sounds the way it should be using this wire and no $$$$ audio grade speaker wire would help them sound any better. Yep these wires are stranded, it would cost you anything between Rs 20 to Rs 60 per meter.

Regards .....

Perhaps we could have a thread on speaker cable. I'm sure there is a lot more room for contention in this analogue area than there should be in the binary world of digital transmission!

I've always just taken for granted that speaker cable should be thick. Mine is moderately so, but bi-wired; not any big name, but not cheap either. There is more cable connecting my amp to the speakers than there is feeding AC mains to my 2.5-ton AC unit which is capable of drawing around 3Kw!

Just that this thread made me think about it, which I have not done for a very long time!

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back