Recent Malayalam film music directors copying from western music

ROBIN LANDANSON

Hi forum members
Recent days I listened more malayalam film songs. I noticed music director Gopi Sunder copying lot of western music to malayalam film industry. In recent time he is the leading music director. Gopi sunder's recent release "Banglore days the perfect example of copy.

1. Nammuru bangaluru from Bryan Adams song 'Summer 69'

2. Ente kannil from Leonard cohen's sisters of mercy song (BGM)

If anyone of the forum members noticed these type of copy music, inform this thread.

Last edited:
Sir, Good Thread, But instead of "Malayalam",Just make it as "India",So that everybody can do it.

So another doubt does anyone know where the English musician's copy from?

:),Just my doubt. As per the evolution Only American's and European's cant be only.
music genius to have "Creativity" .

Just one of the music from Tamil, i use to laugh everytme.

Bob Marley - Buffalo soldier - YouTube - Original verson
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9FGDWozfFs-Tamil version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJ-TLZcS0Es-Original version
Ullasam Vikram Konjum manjal Song - YouTube Version

In fact am pretty new to the International music too,I just wonder if i have some thing deep about the Western music and thier albums, I might throw many garbage copy's like this as an example.

Please let me know in case only MY EARS Can feel this uniqueness :)

Let us be technically correct here shall we?

The term is not copying but "INSPIRED" :D:D:D.

Ask any music director worth his salt (Or to be honest not worth it!) that is what he or she would say!

LOL, I was about to say INSPIRED :D

Well, a lot of musicians working in the film industry do it. Something knowingly sometimes even unknowingly. The problem is - they are human too. If they heard some music being played by a folk group, it remain etched in their mind. When they create a tune, when that influence creeps into their composition, sometimes even they might not know.

Another problem is - the amount of music they create. India has the world's largest entertainment/cinema industry. The sheer numbers are mind boggling. I think even world's next two biggest industries put together might not match the numbers. In such a case, how many tunes can really possibly be original?

I'd think it really takes a genius a genuinely raw musician to create something original. Something film producers won't do due to commercial interests.

Well Ranjeetrain, to put it another way,

Thyagaraja composed about 96,000 songs in his lifetime and set a tune for each one (Unfortunately only about 36,000 are available today) well it takes a genius to pen lyrics and set a correct tune or raga to it, which most of today's ramshackle "MUSIC" directors cant even dream of. They can only pen something like "KOLA VERI" and it becomes a super hit! Says a lot about the quality of music and its listeners too (Which by the way includes me also!).

It is always money and collections which rule the roost, hence music suffers and rampant copying happens to make a quick buck.

Believe it or not, I have heard some music directors have composed tunes and recorded it, all done within a few hours. All due to the increased commercialization and "deadline" pressures.

How can someone produce original pieces one after another if that is the case?

Believe it or not, I have heard some music directors have composed tunes and recorded it, all done within a few hours. All due to the increased commercialization and "deadline" pressures.

I can believe that based on the quality of music "churned" out.

Sir, Ilayaraja has composed music in Hours too.But the situation like this, Director gives the situation and Music director would feel that "Paticular RAGA"is best for this situation and he would finalize the pallavi, Anupallavi etc in quick session based on the RAGA.

But i would say its part of the Film Director who gets the work from Music director, IF he has good music sense and knowledge then best can be delivered.

For Example Manirathanam + ARR always been great always best.

Its a wrong assumption that genius/creativity takes a long time. It has been proven that when in that "state of flow" creativity is near instant or people are in the state of flow where their creative part takes over till they are done with their work.

The real question is how to get into a state of flow and stay there. Guess the really creative geniuses have figured out a way where they can tap into it on demand.

Also, when not in the state of flow, the work will be average (at best) or even bad/pedestrian.

LOL, I was about to say INSPIRED :D

Well, a lot of musicians working in the film industry do it. Something knowingly sometimes even unknowingly. The problem is - they are human too. If they heard some music being played by a folk group, it remain etched in their mind. When they create a tune, when that influence creeps into their composition, sometimes even they might not know.

this happens. unknowingly they might copy just a smal tune or short part of the song and come up with a totally different song in terms of mood, genre and emotional impact. i do not consider this copying at all. this can actually be termed inspired

this happens. unknowingly they might copy just a smal tune or short part of the song and come up with a totally different song in terms of mood, genre and emotional impact. i do not consider this copying at all. this can actually be termed inspired

I agree with this partly, however, most of the songs are copied completely and brazenly without even acknowledgement that the listener might have actually heard the song from somewhere/some other language where it was originally composed and set a tune to, not to even think of the insult it gives to the original composer/producer/singer.

There are more instances of complete tunes being copied and sometimes entire lyrics "INSPIRED" from some other source!

And the best part is that they assume that they will not be caught out, and if they are, they can go behind the veil of "INSPIRED"!

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back