Recent worrying Industry news in Higher End Audio

sidvee

YG founder leaves:
ARC sold again:
I know YG is available in India, I don't think ARC has an Indian dist. anymore.
Cheers,
Sid

Saw this. The Y &G in YG has left. Will they change their name ?

ARC - Not sure of the impact. Thoughts anyone ?

I guess this was expected. The Covid will take a toll on lot of boutique guys too. Won’t be surprised if 20-30% of them shut shop or sell off their company.

From what I've picked up, boutique brands have had a good year this year due to stronger sales in the US, Europe (people spending more time at home).

These two seem to be more investor led decisions - ARC part of a conglomerate and YG founder had already sold the business in 2017.

To me, brands seem to lose some of their soul when they get sold into a larger group. Visible in a lot of the British brands. Naim is a recent example, Spendor and Quad are older. I suspect the new owners are never as passionate about them.

YG founder leaves:
ARC sold again:
I know YG is available in India, I don't think ARC has an Indian dist. anymore.
Cheers,
Sid

A lot of audio brands these days..are investment decisions..and management changes or takeovers..

The few that remain post Covid will be the luckier ones and the contrast is that sales might be better for luxury brands in a pandemic..

High end is presently being discounted big time. So could explain the spurt in sales. But I doubt this will continue for long. A lot of the stuff sold in recent times has been stock lying.

Saw this. The Y &G in YG has left. Will they change their name ?

ARC - Not sure of the impact. Thoughts anyone ?
Regarding ARC, I read it went back to one of the original owners, so perhaps it may survive and thrive - though with Mcintosh group it had a much larger financial backing. YG might not change their name - like Mark Levinson when it was bought by The Harman group from Mark Levinson - The Man.
Cheers,
Sid

High end is presently being discounted big time. So could explain the spurt in sales. But I doubt this will continue for long. A lot of the stuff sold in recent times has been stock lying.
Definitely not universal. This is a direct quote from Alan Shaw on the Harbeth forum posted a few days back: " Sales of the XD speakers are running at 155% of forecast". They hit a new peak in sales last year. There was a similar comment from the owner of Rogue Audio in a youtube interview.

The India situation is very different though - here it seems to be inventory clearance.

Definitely not universal. This is a direct quote from Alan Shaw on the Harbeth forum posted a few days back: " Sales of the XD speakers are running at 155% of forecast". They hit a new peak in sales last year. There was a similar comment from the owner of Rogue Audio in a youtube interview.

The India situation is very different though - here it seems to be inventory clearance.
India situation now, in the past or future will run on its own set of rules.
Some will discount and clear stock to make good on idle inventory.
Some will jack up the pricing due to shortage. Weird, but not surprising.

The spending power or spread may have gone up.
Money spent at other outlets (like vacations, dinners, movies, etc) is being diverted such high value purchases.
Just a wild guess.

Cheers,
Raghu

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back