Recommend 40' LCD - NO to Samsung

master007

Hey All,
I bought Samsung 40B550 last year and it developed a fault last month, which the Samsung after about a month are not able to replace the part or even LCD (and that too after too much quarreling). Finally, they have settled to refund back my money for the LCD.

I'm visiting this forum after about 4 months and in here for my search for a new 40'LCD. So, I'm new to this again (atleast for current models). Please suggest the current good models available in the market at same price bracket. Please don't recommend Samsung (personally I'LL NEVER BUY THIS AGAIN, even on Googling you can find most complaints are from Samsung among other brands) and also no Sony (will be expensive for me).

Thanks & Regards

EDIT: hah.. forget about the usage
80% SD TV
20% Gaming + HD Movies (Through HDMI via PC)

Last edited:
Since you said no Samsung here are the other obvious choices:

You could have a look at the Philips 5 and 7 series,the LG SL90 or Sony NX series.

You have to compare them in a multi branded store and choose what you like after playing around with the settings.

personally i prefer Philips in LCD.

well you can get a lemon in any brand,i know you are angry with the samsung,but to dismiss their lcds just like that isn't a good move,the upcoming C5xx are your options,but if its still NO for a samsung then the sony Ex400 is good(especialy in SD),since you find them expensive you can try buying them in the grey market where it costs about 47k to 48k.

other then that your options are limited,in the 40" segment the philips 40" 5609 doesn't look as good as the smaller 32",looks a bit washed out ,but the 40" 7409 is better,comes with philips version of 100hz although it will be more expensive then the samsung series 5 that you bought and not every store sells a philips.

thnx for the reply, will look for Philips series as mentioned by you...

More replies are welcome.

EDIT: thx adder, will check out sony ex400 too... I'm no to Samsung not just because of the lemon piece but also because of awesomely poor customer service...

Last edited:
^ When i saw the Sony EX series i felt that the contrast and black level was pretty bad so post your view of the EX series after checking it out.

to the OP if you want a tv that has good contrast then ,the available philips and LG lcd looses out to samsung and sony.the EX range has good contrast far more then the lg and philips,comparable to other VA based lcds like NX CCFL range and samsung CCFL backlight lcds.

but the NX range has a glossy screen so unless you have some dark viewing environment or light that is behind the tv or to its sides,one can easily see the reflections,so no point in a tv that has great contrast with deep blacks if one just can't notice it,this goes to many other glossy screen lcds and plasmas.

Last edited:
thnx for all the replies.
I guess I wouldn't go for LG too (no of good reviews = no of bad reviews). also lh90 & ls90 will be very expensive
After looking at the prices of diff models, i could find these options:
Sony ex400, nx 500 (what's the difference between these too except for glossy screen in nx series)
Philips 7409 & also 9703 (what's appr. price of these in market, if anyone knows??)

PS: I will be able to check out the models only after Friday. so still searching for reviews over the net...

Last edited:
hey all,
seen philips 5 and 7 series (couldn't find 9 series) - didn't liked philips much when compared to sony....
and sony ex400, ex500, nx500 looked more or less the same to me...
so confused between ex400 and nx500 (not going for ex500 just for 100hz feature)... so again what's the difference between these two models except looks.
also if i find 40w550 @ about 64k, should i consider this also?
thanks & regards

okay people.....remember .....SINGLE QUOTE means FEET.......DOUBLE QUOTES means INCHES......... so 40' means a 40 FOOT LCD display.....and such a thing has not yet been invented, yes you can do matrix of screens to assemble 40 feet.....but not a single display.

Thank you for using double quotes while talking of display sizes :D

Hi Forum Members,
I will be going for a 40-42" full hd lcd shortly. Can any body share some experience with sharp lcd.I took a demo of sharp 42" A66 and I found it better than it peers in the same category.

Saurav

Re: Recommend 40" LCD - NO to Samsung

finally bought Sony 40EX400 on Sunday...
PQ- in SD, is very slightly better then my previous lcd samsung B550. But has much better blacks
SQ- much better then samsung B550 but again it's an lcd.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back