Reduce action noise, while keeping dialogue volume?

k-pad

Hi all,
Recently moved from a desktop set up to a TV.
Happy with everything but the dynamism of audio (running desktop l-r, with tiny sub connected to tv via the headphone jack.)
Setting volume for even basic clarity (15-20 on the TV's scale of 100) is terrible when the action kicks in.
This problem is only for streaming services, chiefly prime. Even netflix, while not perfect, plays in manageable ranges.

While I hope to soon move to a proper AVR and speakers set up, is there anyway to adress the issue in the current set up?

Used to do it with the compression set up in vlc. Does something similar exist for TVs?

TV doesn't have a night mode, and streaming platforms' compression is what it is. Local files via Plex are very good.

Would be nice to hear if anyone has a solution. Even a decent compression app for tv on playstore would help at this stage.

Regards

I think the new generation of flat TVs have some calibration mechanism for TV internal speakers.
My 2018 LG-OLED has something called "Sound Tuning" using the remote.
Not satisfactory though. When it matters we usually turn on the AVR and get the center working.

If using external speakers, then the box between the speakers and TV should handle the magic.
AVRs have a fair bit of wizardry to balance out the sound; or so I have read.
I did play around with my AVR settings after Audessey calibration.
But seriously, I'm a dud when it comes to multi-channel sound.
Barely get it right on 2.1

Cheers,
Raghu

I think the new generation of flat TVs have some calibration mechanism for TV internal speakers.
My 2018 LG-OLED has something called "Sound Tuning" using the remote.
This TV does have it. It even boldly calls it calibration only. :D
But it is adamant that it will apply those settings/allow me to tinker only if I am using TV's speaker.

Not satisfactory though. When it matters we usually turn on the AVR and get the center working.
If using external speakers, then the box between the speakers and TV should handle the magic.
Cheap desktop speakers connected with a jack, AVR is coming I promise.
AVRs have a fair bit of wizardry to balance out the sound; or so I have read.
I did play around with my AVR settings after Audessey calibration.
But seriously, I'm a dud when it comes to multi-channel sound.
Barely get it right on 2.1

Cheers,
Raghu

This TV does have it. It even boldly calls it calibration only. :D
But it is adamant that it will apply those settings/allow me to tinker only if I am using TV's speaker.

<snip>
Fair enough. They can only tinker within their eco-system.
AVR should aid in getting the HT/surround effects to your liking.
So you have a lot of playtime ahead of you :D

I gave up on HT a long time ago. Run a basic 3.1
Realized that I don't have the patience/knowledge or room to seriously go beyond 2/3 speakers.
Even the sub I purchased is biased and tuned for 2-ch/music experience.

Cheers,
Raghu

Fair enough. They can only tinker within their eco-system.
AVR should aid in getting the HT/surround effects to your liking.
So you have a lot of playtime ahead of you :D

I gave up on HT a long time ago. Run a basic 3.1
My journey might still eventually end at this.
Realized that I don't have the patience/knowledge or room to seriously go beyond 2/3 speakers.
Even the sub I purchased is biased and tuned for 2-ch/music experience.

Cheers,
Raghu
Lack the same things -- patience, knowledge; can even add courage :D
But will read up as much as possible in the time available and fig something eventually.
Thanks always.

You can use dynamic volume in Audyssey. It will keep the action sound effects and dialogues at a constant level and prevent any sudden loud SFX bursts in levels. But this feature is generally used for late night viewing when you don't want others to get disturbed.
Other option is to just increase the level of your center channel through your avr than the other speakers. If I am not mistaken there is some feature for dialogues too in Audyssey.
K-pad, I am sure there are work arounds pertaining to this issue you have mentioned.

For subwoofers, you can use Audyssey's "Low Frequency Containment" ( LFC ) from preventing or minimising the bass going through walls so that people in neighbouring rooms or flats don't get disturbed.

Last edited:
You can use dynamic volume in Audyssey. It will keep the action sound effects and dialogues at a constant level and prevent any sudden loud SFX bursts in levels. But this feature is generally used for late night viewing when you don't want others to get disturbed.
Other option is to just increase the level of your center channel through your avr than the other speakers. If I am not mistaken there is some feature for dialogues too in Audyssey.
Yep, will be able to do this once I move to an AVR set up.
K-pad, I am sure there are work arounds pertaining to this issue you have mentioned.
As of now, a compressor add-on app for TV would be the best.
They did wonders when I used to watch on browsers.

On searching a bit, I did find out Kodi (an app that I can't make head or tail of) has it, but Plex (one that I managed to get set up and running) doesn't :(
It does have an add-on, which I'll try while I continue searching for other fixes. A native app on Google TV would work best.
Else, will learn Kodi and try that too.
For subwoofers, you can use Audyssey's "Low Frequency Containment" ( LFC ) from preventing or minimising the bass going through walls so that people in neighbouring rooms or flats don't get disturbed.
This will be useful when I upgrade.
Thanks much, Nitin bhai.
Regards

Last edited:
Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back