Rega, Scheu, Thorens.... My first turntable. Help required to decide.

Ash

I am planning to buy my first turntable after reading so much about analog sound on this forum. Been reading a lot about Rega, Pro-Ject, Scheu, Thorens etc. I have a budget of around 50-100k max. I don't think I can audition the Rega and Scheu in Mumbai so I will be making my decision based on the suggestions I get on this forum. I will be pairing this with an Arcam A32 integrated with a phono input and Monitor Audio RS6 speakers. I have read Asit's post in his Scheu Cello and then Rega is also very popular. Thorens is legendary...... Any help would be most appreciated. Open to any other brands besides the ones mentioned as well. I am looking for a full warm sound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scheu Cello. Its the best in that price band. Have heard all the tables mentioned and the Scheu is the best bet.

Thanks Malvai, my concern was that the Scheu needs some degree of adjustments with the string where as the Rega (I am considering the RP6) is said to be a plug and play. Since I am new to turntables is it something that one can tackle with ease ?

is it something that one can tackle with ease ?

You will learn. It's not so difficult as some people think it is. More adjustability is desirable as one can tweak and improve the sound. It's nice and convenient to have a a turntable that is mostly plug and play, but after some point you will outgrow it.

Thanks Malvai, my concern was that the Scheu needs some degree of adjustments with the string where as the Rega (I am considering the RP6) is said to be a plug and play. Since I am new to turntables is it something that one can tackle with ease ?

Its not rocket science ash!
In fact, because it is tweak able, it is that much more fun!

>>>

The Scheu Cello with the Jelco pickup arm and the Denon DL 103 will set you back at the upper reaches of your (admirable) budget. Mr. Jochen Semler in The Listening Room, Bangalore is the Scheu dealer in India.

Regards
issigonis

Ah ! Thanks issigonis. That brings me to the next stage. If the Scheu is the winner. What are the arm and cartridge options ? And then MM or MC ? The Arcam has an option of both. I believe the Scheu comes with a standard Rega RB 251 and an Ortofon Super OM 10. Any other suggestions regarding these upgrades ?

speak to Jochen..he can guide you. i believe the stock is with Rega arm . you will need to choose your cart based on Arcams phono.

you should try and speak to Asit too..

go with the stock options at first.... they are good starting points... once you settle in, and know better about what kind of song you want to evolve to, we can help you out then!

The RB 251 will take many years to get over... the OM 10 is a good cart to been with. Later, there are many options to choose from as per your sonic likes and dislikes!

go for the Trigon phono amps for now... or a Lyrita tubed phono or a Nighthawk!

Do I need to go in for a separate phono amp or will the phono input of the Arcam suffice ?

depends on what kind of phono input it has, and what kind of phono cart you eventually go for!

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back