Replace NAD C542 with Xonar STX?

DevS

I was planning to build a PC based setup to play loss-less music. Currently I am using NAD C542 cdp with NAD C372 integrated stereo amp. Managing CDs has been a pain to me. Also I have read that hard drive based music playback is refined. Reading the forum posts, I sense ASUS Xonar STX seems to be subjectively a fair product.
I am satisfied with the sound from my present audio setup. At same time I have not been able to try alternate playback sources in my environment. So I am not sure if there is scope for improvement in my system.
The PC based source will be easy for managing music than a cd player. Now, the moot point, will the XONAR STX perform better than my C542? I understand that C542 is not a top notch player. Yet, if I have to invest in a new system, I somehow want to be sure that I am not doing something blunderous.
Please help

Thanks

Making a PC sound as good as a decent CDP is definitely possible. It needs patience and a bit of greasemonkeying though. Ideally you can think of using the optical out from the Xonar to a good outboard optical DAC. The stock analog out is good but coming from a entry-mid range cdp you may feel disappointed.

To start with you can try and use the stock analog out and then slowly move to an outboard DAC if at all you feel the need.

PS: And while we are at it, you have a buyer for your C542 as I am looking for a CDP for my parents to go with a NAD C326 + Paradigm combo. ;)

Ruenigma, thanks for the inputs. I wish I could offer you the cdp but I am afraid, I am not selling it.

The Xonar STX is probably the best soundcard you can get for <10k. It has shown very good measurements under test. The only issue about it used to be the drivers. The drivers are now stable, so it's not much of a bother.

To get 'better' SQ, I think choices are limited for soundcards. In my mind, the next step would probably be the RME soundcards.

If you are looking for external DACs, then there are a lot more choices. I am bit skeptical whether DACs <$1k would best the STX. At $1k+, I think the Benchmark DAC1 would probably be a step up.

While I don't actually know how the STX compares to your CDP, it's unlikely to be a bad choice.

Last edited:
Top end RME sound card AES 32 available for cheap (relatively speaking, that is :)). The latest is AES 32e:

RME Computer sound card, HDSP AES-32 with breakout cable | DA Converters | AudiogoN

Needs a good breakout cable, though. The stock breakout cable is something you can safely chuck into the dustbin without regrets.

PS: you will need a good external DAC if you should go the sound card path, though the in-built DAC is not too bad either.

Last edited:
jls001, I have read about RME sound cards. They are superior, perhaps way out of my budget.

Thanks

Now, the moot point, will the XONAR STX perform better than my C542?

Thanks

Hi Dev,
I haven't heard the NAD C542, however I have heard the entry level Marantz 5001 CDP. If NAD's SQ is similar to entry level players like these, you can go for Xonar ST (not STX) with AD BRZ opamps. (refer my post here http://www.hifivision.com/home-thea...ce-st-soundcard-experience-19.html#post365433)

With these opamps, Xonar ST will sound as good as entry level CDP's + the added bonus of easily manageable Music-collection, elimination of CD-scratch distortion, 24bit /96KHz upwards music compatibility, customizing SQ with opamp changes, transport independent file-playback... the list goes on.

Regds,
Sonosphere

Sonosphere, I agree with you about the bonus benefits through a PC route.

About the STX and ST, are they not the same, except that one is PCI express and the other is PCI?

Thanks

Sonosphere, I agree with you about the bonus benefits through a PC route.

About the STX and ST, are they not the same, except that one is PCI express and the other is PCI?

Thanks

The only difference I've seen mentioned is that the ST has a native clock for both, 44.1kHz and 48kHz, while the STX has a native clock for only 48kHz.

I could not find anything on the Asus site to confirm this. And as far my ears can tell with the STX, it sounds absolutely fine with my entire library of 44.1kHz music ripped from my AudioCDs.

However, in the Xonar Control panel, I don't see the multiples of 44.1kHz (88.2kHz, etc), while it has multiples of 48kHz, so the clock issue must be probably true. There are 4 sampling rates available in the Xonar Control Panel for the STX: 44.1, 48, 96, 192. Perhaps someone with the ST could post the sampling range available at the Xonar Control Panel to confirm's the ST's clock multiples.

This shouldn't be an issue unless you have music at multiples of 44.1kHz. From what I've seen, most of the Hi-Res audio available are in multiples of 48kHz (typically 96kHz), so the lack of 88.2 etc. shouldn't be much of a bother.

Last edited:
I have the same 4 sampling rates in my STs Control panel...
even ive read about the clock being different but i dont really think that makes a difference to the sound.

the main difference between the ST and the STX apart from the interface is that the ST has support for H6 addon card which gives it multichannel output [link]

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back