Replacement for Samsung Plasma 64F8500

argho

Hi All.

Posting after quite a while.

My beautiful Samsung 64 inch plasma has developed a panel problem.
Its only 3 years old.

Warranty is over. And replacing the panel will cost 1 lakh.
Very disheartening...

Expected a top end TV like this to last much longer.

Looks like no option but to buy a new TV.

Looking for suggestions for a replacement.
Cannot go back to a smaller TV. So need a 64 or 65 inch.

Any suggestions for a reasonably priced replacement ?

Amongst the well known brands, the option I see is LGUH770T.
Any feedback on this one ? Particularly the picture quality.

Any feedback on TCL ? I see a 65 inch LED on sale on Amazon for Rs 75K. That seems like an unbelievable price. So of course am wary.
TCL 165 cm L65P1US 4K Ultra HD LED Smart TV: Amazon.in: Electronics

I welcome any thoughts or suggestions.

3 years is indeed rather short. My PS51E550D1R is still going strong at 5 years.

The way forward is Oled. I would not bother with a Led tv anymore. Yes; it is prohibitively expensive but then you did pay big bucks for your reference grade Samsung. Oled is the future.

Do not have the budget for an OLED right now. Looking for something reasonably priced.

Shoot an email to Samsung (try to include CEO or higher authorities in CC), Twitter is best thing for such kind of problem (I tried it). And let them know what kind of products they are manufacturing. Tell them how disappointed it is by having their such expensive product which didn't survive and dead just after warranty/under 3 years. Being a loyal Samsung customer, ask them if any adjustments is possible if you buy a new TOP END TV from them by giving your old one.

Play your cards, let see what they say. Writing an email cost nothing, right?

Thanks Prepress.

Trying for that. Have heard that if I push hard enough I might get a "depreciated" buy back.

Not sure yet whether they will give me a cheque, or its a discount on a new Saammy.

Hi All.

Posting after quite a while.

My beautiful Samsung 64 inch plasma has developed a panel problem.
Its only 3 years old.

Warranty is over. And replacing the panel will cost 1 lakh.
Very disheartening...

Expected a top end TV like this to last much longer.

Sorry to hear your issue. Panel developing issues just outside warranty seem to be very common these days..

Looks like no option but to buy a new TV. Looking for suggestions for a replacement. Cannot go back to a smaller TV. So need a 64 or 65 inch.

Any suggestions for a reasonably priced replacement ?

Amongst the well known brands, the option I see is LGUH770T.
Any feedback on this one ? Particularly the picture quality.

Any feedback on TCL ? I see a 65 inch LED on sale on Amazon for Rs 75K. That seems like an unbelievable price. So of course am wary.
TCL 165 cm L65P1US 4K Ultra HD LED Smart TV: Amazon.in: Electronics

I welcome any thoughts or suggestions.

I think it would be better to consider a brand, who offer maximum extended warranty.. TCL offers only 18 Months.. Not sure if they offer extended. Please check with TCL India for any options.

Have heard that if I push hard enough I might get a "depreciated" buy back.

Not sure yet whether they will give me a cheque, or its a discount on a new Saammy.

Whatever is the replacement cost for the old TV, usually they would deduct that from similar offering of the same size, and they would ask you to pay remaining..This is how Sony offered me..

Guys - an update.

Samsung have agreed to give me a refund of Rs 108K , and take back my TV.
Better outcome than I expected.

They still havent come and picked it up, and given me a cheque.
Keeping my fingers crossed.

That's a very good news. If I were you, I would get a good projector. I don't trust those TVs anymore and nothing can replace a plasma (so far I haven't seen anything like plasma, I know my Panasonic got replaced with the LED :sad:). I've made up my mind that once the TV goes kaput, I'll get the projector. You can find more information about set up and costs involved in the Projector section here.

That's a very good news. If I were you, I would get a good projector. I don't trust those TVs anymore and nothing can replace a plasma (so far I haven't seen anything like plasma, I know my Panasonic got replaced with the LED :sad:). I've made up my mind that once the TV goes kaput, I'll get the projector. You can find more information about set up and costs involved in the Projector section here.

Thats been at the back of my mind.

Any reccomendation for a 4K home projector ?

1.08l is pretty good outcome i think. Can you tell me how did you went through the process?

Yes - very happy with the outcome.
Would have been happier still if they could have fixed it. I still think plasma perfomance and PQ is unmatched.

No special procedure. Logged a service request with Samsung.
They came and inspected and said panel needs to be changed. Cost Rs 1 lac.

After the initial heart attack, I said ok, pls go ahead and change.

Finally they responded that replacement panel for the 64 inch is not in stock anywhere, so they will give a partial refund, and take back my TV.

Required quite a bit of followup.

And to be noted that they still havent given me my money yet, or picked up the TV.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

Yesterday, Samsung staff came home and picked up my TV, and gave me a refund cheque of Rs 1 lac.

Took a lot of follow up, and had almost given up hope.

Was also worried because I had bought a new 65 inch TV and was worried about how the wife was going to react if the new TV got delivered, before the old one was picked up :)

Anyway - happened in the nick of time.
Very relieved and very happy now.
Still amazed that Samsung gave almost a 50% refund for a 3 year old TV.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back