Replacing AT ATH-M50 - Need advice

newnikonian

Hi Friends, I have been using AT ATH-M50 for nearly 12 years and it is still going strong. But the head band have lost the grip and replacement bands and PADs could not restore the fit.

I am looking to replace that with similar at 12 to 15k budget. I have been reading through the old threads trying to get a feel on which to buy..... I could not find AT ATH-MSR7 in stock. Instead of getting M50x again I am considering BEYERDYNAMIC - DT 990 PRO / 770 PRO. Both are at the same price. But it is said DT 990 might need an amp to drive to its potential..... I live in Coimbatore so possibility of getting a audition of these are very slim.....

I have an old Topping TP20-MK2 MKII amp unused... can I use it to drive the DT990?? What cable I would need since the amp just have RCA out and no headphone jack....

Are there better alternatives available? I am not a bass head and I am not a big fan of very bright highs which might be a con with DT990. I mainly listen Pop, Rock, Hip hop and occasional Classical Carnatic / Instrumentals.....

Please advice ..... I find prices discussed in here is way lower than the online prices.... What is the secret :) and share best place to buy online....

I am not a big time headphones guy, but have recently started hearing more on headphones.
I have a ATH-M50X, Sennheiser HD598SE, Philips SHP-9500 and the Hifiman Deva Pro. My current preference is the Hifiman (planar headphones).
I either drive it directly from my LG V30 or through the Bluemini R2R headphone amp.
The Deva Pro with the Bluemini is a killer combination, offering convenience, cable-free and great sound.
It is exactly same as ATH-M50x with the FiiO BTA10 which also I possess.

The DT990 should be driven fine via dongle DAC's , low powered amplifiers too. However they are known to sound a little sharp in the treble region , if that is not a problem then you can go ahead with the purchase. Alternatively if you want to explore planars then Hifiman Deva/ HE400 might be good buys , but keep in mind that open backs will leak a little sound and will not provide as much sound isolation as the M50

I am not a big time headphones guy,
Hi Kannan, :) for a NOT a headphone guy, you seems to have accumulated quite a few impressive combo setup :)
Thanks for the Hifiman Deva Pro intro... Looks like a good alternative. I am trying to read through reviews and trying out the sound samples posted.... Do you have any recommendation for trusted sellers? I find Deva Pro offered with / with out Bluemini for same price by Amazon /other sellers....

However they are known to sound a little sharp in the treble region , if that is not a problem then you can go ahead with the purchase. Alternatively if you want to explore planars then Hifiman Deva/ HE400 might be good buys , but keep in mind that open backs will leak a little sound and will not provide as much sound isolation as the M50
Thanks @fLUX The bright top end is a Con for me. I dont like it personally. I think Isolation may not be a big issue at home. Deva Pro is looking more interesting for now. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you very much @Kannan and @fLUX for suggesting HiFiMan Deva Pro 🙏👌

Managed to get the last pair from headphonezone..... This is perfect and I am enjoying it....
Thank god that I asked in this forum before I made my purchase.... Thanks again 👍

If you like the ath-m50 sound then you will be confortable with the m50x. DT-770 is a totally different kettle of fish with a dip around 1-3khz and quite frankly I dont use them much now. I always reach out for the m50x.

Why fix things when they aren't broken ? Go for the m50x. Thats my suggestion.

Thank you very much @Kannan and @fLUX for suggesting HiFiMan Deva Pro 🙏👌

Managed to get the last pair from headphonezone..... This is perfect and I am enjoying it....
Thank god that I asked in this forum before I made my purchase.... Thanks again 👍
Great it worked out ! How different is the Deva from the ATH ?

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back