Returning Audio Technica ATH M50x

urindian

Hi Guys

Recently bought the ATH m50x headphone for 8.5k in Amazon and after 2 weeks if usage I am still not happy with the badd response and planning to return them.

My audio sources are one plus 2 and Samsung note 2.do I need to add a DAC to get better bass response. Please advise .

You need a headphone amp for this headphone to sound good. I bought one recently. I also have a Beyer DT990Pro headphone. The Beyer is an open back type and the M50x is a closed back. The Beyer sounds more open . However the M50x has tremendous punch in the bass notes. Does not go any deeper than the Beyer but is punchier and does feel closed in like most closed back headphones.
The Beyer is lighter and possibly more accurate but the M50x is more dynamic sounding and great for lively punchy music. Suggest you try it with a headphone amp , not with the minuscule output of small devices. Plugging it into a receiver socket isn't good enough ( as they have internal series resistors). You need a dedicated headphone amp , or build one ( JLH for example!).

Headphone amps are another whole ball game. There are fans and addicts in the headphone arena with several web sites dedicated to them. Try http://www.head-fi.org/ and

Headfonia Headphone Reviews , Headphones - Top Resource Sites and Headwize.com unfortunately doesn't work anymore. But the pages are archived. Check out: http://web.archive.org/web/20150315002234/http://headwize.com/?page_id=160

Some of it is sheer insanity ! :)

I did toy with the idea of dumping the M50x but after listening for a few days I think I'll keep it. It's far more punchy than the Beyer and for some types of music it's great.

Last edited:
I strongly believe in burn in process especially for head phones put your head phone in one of your musical player whole night with full of all genre songs and leave it free. The next morning you can find some kind of relief it will carry on to the peak level audiophile quality in 50 or 60 hours. First of all good quality hps need burn in.

You need a headphone amp for this headphone to sound good. I bought one recently. I also have a Beyer DT990Pro headphone. The Beyer is an open back type and the M50x is a closed back. The Beyer sounds more open . However the M50x has tremendous punch in the bass notes. Does not go any deeper than the Beyer but is punchier and does feel closed in like most closed back headphones.
The Beyer is lighter and possibly more accurate but the M50x is more dynamic sounding and great for lively punchy music. Suggest you try it with a headphone amp , not with the minuscule output of small devices. Plugging it into a receiver socket isn't good enough ( as they have internal series resistors). You need a dedicated headphone amp , or build one ( JLH for example!).

Headphone amps are another whole ball game. There are fans and addicts in the headphone arena with several web sites dedicated to them. Try http://www.head-fi.org/ and

Headfonia Headphone Reviews , Headphones - Top Resource Sites and Headwize.com unfortunately doesn't work anymore. But the pages are archived. Check out: A Quick Guide To Headphones | HeadWize

Some of it is sheer insanity ! :)

I did toy with the idea of dumping the M50x but after listening for a few days I think I'll keep it. It's far more punchy than the Beyer and for some types of music it's great.

Thanks for the response fantastic..

I am planning to get a headphone Amp and try,My last day for returning this headphone to amazon is today,but keeping it seeing this response.

I am going to give it another chance by burning it for another 50hrs and Try this with Fiio E12 Mont Blanc DAC..

Need to purchase the DAC though...need suggestions whether there is any matching HP AMP or DAC for the M50X

Do search out on Ebay and look for suggestions on the web pages I sent links for. TAKE TIME selecting one. Even if it takes over 6 months it doesn't matter. You should plan to keep it a long time. No point changing systems over and over again. Leads to unhappiness and an empty pocket.
I have been keeping an eye on the M50X for over 15 months ! Last year the M50x was being sold in Singapore for Rs 11,000/ ! They have a new M70x also. However I heard the demo units and could not make out much difference between the M70x and M50x. It has a bigger driver but it wasn't audibly so different. Maybe the test set up was not good enough. It was far more expensive.

Search on the links I gave earlier. Some eBay products are very good. Pick one and do a search on Google for reviews on it. Check them all on Google. You should get an idea on what's suitable for you.
I use a regular DAC and never use portable devices. I also have a classA headphone amp. So I'm set to sit back and enjoy the phones. :)
The M50x is really nice and punchy in the bass and sounds much better than the older M30 which I also have.
And as you have been advised by another member. Do run them in before forming an opinion. Plug it into a source and keep them running even though you are not listening to them. 50 to 100 hours is quite typical !
Sometimes the difference is quite dramatic. Don't take anyone's word for it. Do it and find out !

Last edited:
M50x is studio monitor, so it is tuned neutral. But use a good headphone amp and it will sound really good and natural. But not certainly for bass lovers. You will need bass tuned headphone. For me, I use M40x and bass is enough. I am more in the details and clarity.

Why not eq it if you want bass out of it ?

Exactly ! Easier to do that with a neutral phone . You can always get back to where you started.
Besides it isn't that the M50x has no bass. There is enough of it except for the bassheads.

With lots of high level bass, be careful about your ears. With very high levels for long duration the damage could be irreversible and you won't notice it immediately ! You will discover it 'one day' when it's too late to do anything about it ! That day you'll understand that the ear is 'precious and priceless' . Try not to get there ! ;)

Last edited:
Every single response in this thread is incorrect. :)

1. M50X isn't neutral.

It is a warm/dark sounding headphone with boosted bass and loads of sub/mid bass. Any more bass and they will become Beats like.

2. Assuming the volume is reasonably good by 70-75% of your phone, an amp is unlikely to make a huge difference unless it is adding colour.
It does depend on the phone as well. If you've an iPhone, you're good.
An amp like O2 or V200 or whatever may tighten your bass vs just using your iPhone.
But the difference between Fiio and an iPhone isn't going to be much, except for the volume difference.

3. I assume that in so many days you have over 10 hrs of burn in. Beyond this point the differences with burn in are likely to be small/non existent.

And even if there are differences, there is no guarantee they will improve the sound.

4. Fiio products are rubbish. Worse than a good smartphone's sound except for the higher volume.
And Fiio products are dark. Your headphone is dark already, adding a dark amp is the last thing you should do.

5. It is possible that pairing your phones with a neutral amp like O2 or STX or better (or more expensive stuff) may make the sound more likeable by neutralizing the dark sound and improving the bass quality and other minor improvements here and there.

6. However, I doubt the above. Chances are you want a V shaped sound. Something like DT 990 may suit you more.

Update:

ATH M50 isn't V shaped.

It is close to neutral. Slightly more bass than neutral, slightly less treble than neutral. So actually it should be warm and bassy.

It isn't neutral per say as the response is a bit uneven. But for the price it seems reasonably neutral. At least based on the FRG.

Hi Guys

Recently bought the ATH m50x headphone for 8.5k in Amazon and after 2 weeks if usage I am still not happy with the badd response and planning to return them.

My audio sources are one plus 2 and Samsung note 2.do I need to add a DAC to get better bass response. Please advise .
M50x is a boring headphone,what I mean is that it is designed to be used as a studio monitor.Narrow soundstage,recessed mids etc.if you want an enjoyable headphone go for the audiotechnica msr7.No amount of amping can make m50x good.Trust me I have tried

I have to disagree with you Krishtrinity on m50x not being a fun kind of headphones, I have paired it with Fiio X3II and it sounds amazing.. it's highlights are good clarity and bright treble, whereas bass is controlled but definitely not punchy .. bass lover would be disappointed with this headphones, but yes the soundstage is narrower and that's the reason I also upgraded to Sony MDR-1A for better soundstage in closed back headphones but I still think m50x is the best you could get in that price range .. IMO

I have to disagree with you Krishtrinity on m50x not being a fun kind of headphones, I have paired it with Fiio X3II and it sounds amazing.. it's highlights are good clarity and bright treble, whereas bass is controlled but definitely not punchy .. bass lover would be disappointed with this headphones, but yes the soundstage is narrower and that's the reason I also upgraded to Sony MDR-1A for better soundstage in closed back headphones but I still think m50x is the best you could get in that price range .. IMO
Its not the best at the price range,takstar pro 80 has better sound quality than m50x to me at least,sennheiser momentum 2 or even audiotechnica msr7 I would choose all of them over m50x any day.

Its not the best at the price range,takstar pro 80 has better sound quality than m50x to me at least,sennheiser momentum 2 or even audiotechnica msr7 I would choose all of them over m50x any day.

While buying m50x, I had listened to Momentum 1st gen and honestly I didn't like the sound signature of Momentum's, not sure about the 2nd gen and msr7, any which ways both are slightly high priced than m50x... the more budgeted takstar pro 80's is highly appreciated headphones and people do suggested these when comparing with m50x, but personally I don't like warmer/bassy headphones, that's the reason I had opted for m50x...so for people who doesn't want much colored sound signature or warmer/bassy sound .. m50x is perfect for it's price..I'm not saying your point is wrong, cause sound is very subjective thing but giving my impressions for people who would like to decide whether to go for m50x or not... Thanks!

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back