Review of Grooveshark Anywhere+VIP

frnd08

I took the plunge and went for Grooveshark VIP+Anywhere.

What it gives me is access to their vast database of music on my mobile (exclusive to Anywhere users) as well as on the web. I had 2 options when it came to streaming+downloadable music packs. Hunagama.com streaming, which cost Rs.100/month and Grooveshark Anywhere ($9/month).

The major issue with hungama is of course the sloppy customer service regarding issues and of course, the severely lacking music repository. Grooveshark on the other hand has almost every single track on the planet under its ambit. I do agree spending $9 for streaming music was a big decision but perhaps something which I needed to take at least as an experiment.

So here's my review.

1. You get VIP access to Grooveshark with the Anywhere pack. So that means ads go away (yeah I know even adblock did that) and access to extra themes and visualisations, none of which of course matter.

2. The real deal of course was access to the Grooveshark mobile app. This thing is really useful. Not because it does the streaming thing, but because it can "DOWNLOAD" tracks to give you "OFFLINE" access to tracks. Which basically means you have your entire collection under your control without the need to connect to the internet.

Pros:

• Great audio quality on most tracks.
  • Superb customer service via twitter/facebook/email. (even if you arent a VIP user, you will still get access to all these and they are quite responsive)
  • Enormous, arguably the most extensive music database on the planet.
  • Syncing of playlists/library with the mobile app

Cons:

• Mobile app has glitches, not major ones, but sometimes offlining takes some time to start. Also, saves tracks to internal SD on Android devices and not on the external SD. This can be an issue for many users.
  • Difficult to sort tracks.
  • Quality of tracks not uniform throughout.
  • No equalizer settings either on the website or in the mobile app
  • Expensive

I would probably not continue with my subscription for an extended period but this was worth giving a try.

Last edited:
Are the downloads in mp3 format? What bitrate? Are they normalized? ( Run them thru software to check)?

--G0bble

Are the downloads in mp3 format? What bitrate? Are they normalized? ( Run them thru software to check)?

--G0bble

Downloads are in .data format. And I'm assuming DRM protected. Its not possible to check bitrates coz they arent even proper audio files! I'd assume though from the size of each file (around 10mb) that its around 192-256kbps. Normalization? Impossible to tell, but I'd assume they're normalized, I hardly have to touch the volume buttons on my mobile after adjusting it once for a track.

(I was half expecting a sarcastic comment when I noticed ur name in this thread :D)

Last edited:
The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back