Review: Paradigm Monitor 9 + Emotiva UMC 1 + Emotiva UPA5

amitkeerti

One of the problems with Paradigm speakers is that we do not have a proper place to audition them in Bangalore.
When I got to know that sudhir (sud98) bought Paradigm Monitor 9, i started requesting him for an audition. Because of some reason or the other we could not meet. Finally we got to meet last Sunday. I had met sudhir about a year back at Konfused's place when we had gone there to listen to his wharfe 9.5s.
Battling the outer ring road construction mess I reached his place around 5 PM. I spent about 2 hours listening to various songs. Below is my observation of paradigm monitor 9 and his setup.

Setup: Emotiva UMC1, Emotiva UPA5, Oppo BDP 83, laptop connected to oppo via network cable, Paradigm Monitor 9.

From his setup of oppo and Emotiva you would have gussed he is a movie freek. But I was amused that he has a 32 incher rather than a projector or a huge TV. Madam was kind enough to serve me snacks and cold drinks. The Junior was suspiciously looking at me all the while :)

We started with my favorite songs...

1. Pee Loon: Once Upon A Time in Mumbai
I enjoyed listening to the song. The beginning of the song brought a smile on my face. The base that follows was rendered very beautifully. Mohit Chauhan sounds very musical. Very nice way to begin the audition.

2. Tum Jo aaye: Once Upon A Time in Mumbai
I was on low volume so missed some initial excitement. On increasing the volume the speakers sang. There is something ethereal about this foot tapping song. The rhythmic beats and Rahat's voice are a treat to hear. The reproduction is very musical on Paradigm.

3. Radhaa Kiase Na Jale: Lagaan
One of those classical test songs for the inital Jingles, bells and the drums. The twitters are very good. The jingles are nice to hear and alternate between the 2 speakers as the song progresses. This is followed by drums. Drums sound very natural. Over all I loved listening to the song.

4. O Palanhare : Lagan
Was slightly disappointed on this song. I was expecting a very soothing feeling out of this song. But did not get that. When Aamir sings O Planahare towards the ends it should pull you into the song. But I could not feel that in when I heard this song on the speakers.

5. When you say nothing at all : Alison Krause
6. Baby, Now That I've Found You : Alison Krause
Vocal pieces with bits of guitar and violin thrown in. I used this to test the vocals. Alison sounded as sweet as she is :) The warmth and tenderness of Alison can be heard very clearly.

7. Forever And For Always (green cd: country): Shania Twain
One of my favourite shania twain songs (haven't heard much of her but love this song). My reference for this was my wharfedale 9.1 and also my Senheisser 555. The song sounded different from both the speakers. On 9.1 her voice sounds very musculine I kind of like that. On sud's setup it sounded more femanine and softer. A different experince.

8. Jesse Cook Frontiers
I have been hearing flamenco for about a year now and have heard Jesse cook and Paco de Lucia. Paco de Lucia is treated as a legend in the flamenco circles. He is known for his effortless way of playing guitar. Jessie cook is the next generation of flamenco. Frontiers is one of his best albums. We played couple of songs from the album. Very beautifully reproduced. But I prefer my wharfedale's version.

Though the speakers are huge and the amp can easily run the speakers, I did not get the room filling experience that I was expecting. A quick look at the speaker setup will tell you the reason. The are probably 5 feet apart and very close to the back wall. One of the speakers is close to the side wall as well. If the speakers are sufficiently separated I believe they will sound even better. But his hall has this limitation.
One more minor thing I observed that the base sounds pronounced. If a song contains vocals with base instruments, the base can slightly overpower the vocal so some songs can sound unclear. Now this could be because of the entire setup.

Otherwise an excellent set of speakers. I was bowled by the way it handles base efforlessly. And the starting jingles of Radha Kaise na jale from Lagaan simply amazing, very clear and immersive. The setup did not feel harsh and they don't lack bass.

Would I buy these ? I could not conclusively decide for/against these. 50-50

Thanks sudhir for letting me listen to your system. I forgot to ask you for a movie audition. How selfish of me not to let you show me what you really love. I wish I had more time to spend and listen to your system.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back