RIP Ustad Rashid Khan

Too early to die. Especially for a classical singer. Sad and unfortunate for the legion of fans. And the loss to his family and near and dears. RIP Ustadji! Listening to you live remains a cherished experience.

A Meastro Beyond Words...
Times music had released an apt series called Maestro's voice of Cassette and Cds.
Great Voice, Created a void, by this loss An era seems to coming to end.
Om Shanti 🙏

And now Padma Vibhushan Dr. Prabha Atre too!
Very sad to see them go. Unlikely that there will ever be others like them. Classical music is no longer monetarily rewarding. Those who are in it for love of music need a second source of income, which is usually bollywood. Tough!

And now Padma Vibhushan Dr. Prabha Atre too!
Very sad to see them go. Unlikely that there will ever be others like them. Classical music is no longer monetarily rewarding. Those who are in it for love of music need a second source of income, which is usually bollywood. Tough!
Not sure if these stalwarts chose to stay in classical because there was money in it back then. In most cases it was barely enough for subsistence. And post 1940s the patronage of princely states also evaporated. They devoted themselves to classical music because practising and performing it was spiritual to them. Someone like Kishori Amonkar gave music to a couple of movies, but quickly realised she didn’t prefer that world and stuck to classical. Ravi Shankar, Bhimsen Joshi, Hariprasad Chaurasia, Shiv Kumar Sharma, Bilayat Khan, Bismillah Khan, Zakir Hussain… almost all of the classical stalwarts dabbled in films for popular reach from time to time and produced some timeless works even there. But their primary allegiance and occupation remained in the classical field. And I believe the upcoming artists of today can still chose that balance for themselves if they wish.

Even Ustad Rashid Khan was more active in Ghazals and Film music in his later years. Likewise, Bikram Ghosh and some other classical masters of today.

It was indeed a shocker,
He was too young...
One of the youngest and greatest of torch bearers of Indian classical music...
He was the only one among all whose double cassette pack of SANGEET SARTAJ series from Music Today I purchased.. His renditions are so energetic and full of laykari...
So many of the stalwarts have gone in recent years.. I wonder if there are enough young classical singers out there to carry the legacy...

Early 2000s when I actually started listening to classical and classical based ghazals, everyone was around... Now more than half are gone. (yes that's life) but I am worried about the next gen.. Havent heard much after Shruti Sadolikar, Ashwini Bhide, Veena Sahastrabuddhe, Gundecha brotgers, shubhra Guha and Kaushiki Chakraborty... But no one after these and certainly haven't come across any talented make singers..

Even Prabha Atre left yesterday..

Last edited:
So many of the stalwarts have gone in recent years.. I wonder if there are enough young classical singers out there to carry the legacy.
Some promising artists from next gen (50s or younger):

- Jayteerth Mevundi
- Manjusha Kulkarni-Patil
- Kailvalya Kumar Gurav
- Devaki Pandit
- Uday Bhawalkar
- Kaushiki Chakraborty
- Shashwati Mandal
- Sangeeta Katti-Kulkarni
- Manjiri Asnare-Kelkar
- Sanjeev Abhyankar
- Alick Sengupta

It is really shocking that we have lost two classical singers very recently. Rashid khan died too young though prabhaji bade us adieu at a ripe old age. However , passing away of both the singers is painful and their demise has certainly created a void. As regards their association with the Bollywood or the silver screen i don't think they did music for films for earning money. Some of them created history while doing work for movies. For example pt. Ravi Shankar, Ustad Ali Akbar khan worked for Satyajit Ray, Tapan Sinha, Tarun Majumder. Just remember the music of Ray's Pather panchali or Sinha's khudhito pashan. Without their music both the films might have lost their flavour. However ustad Bade Ghulam Ali khan was an exception as he wanted to stay away from film music though he sang for one or two movies on request. In 50's,60's ,70's and even 80's films used to have classical songs but after that the taste of people underwent a change hence we find less use of classical music in commercial movies though there may be some exceptions. However, glad to know that new generation singers are singing indian classical.

Indeed shocking news this...a great vocalist

Probably among the greats of hindustani classical music...

...I so enjoy his voice...he will be missed by many...

🙏🏼

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back