Russ Andrews - Five stars PowerKord

Ambio

Banned
Banned
This is a great power cable which reduced the RFI and improved the sound of Hifi and AV. You can find many reviews online. An excellent review such as this can be found here:-

Instruments gained solidity and body and had greater resonance and improved detail levels. There was much improved projection of vocals, and sound staging was significantly better due to the noticeably lower noise floor. The natural resonance of guitars came through beautifully and violins had great attack but without being harsh. The whole performance was tonally expressive and I was able to pick out more detail. The effect was akin to cleaning the windows so you could enjoy the view you knew was there but had been partly obscured by dirt and grime before. The tonal balance of the system was not changed: you could just hear more.

Sounds familiar?

Unfortunately, some wooden eared music lover complained about the powerkord to UK authority. This is the second time (2011). It went on like this....

"As with all our PowerKords, the woven design is proven to reduce RFI on the mains supply allowing a sound that is fuller, more natural and more musical.......It explained "the effect it [RFI] has on Hi-Fi equipment and why our cables are in such a good position to reduce the degradation RFI causes to Hi-Fi and Home Cinema components"....."Don't let interference ruin your music" and detailed the testing that Russ Andrews Accessories had had carried out. It stated "The results typically show a reduction in RFI ranging between three and ten times"."

Investigation found

However, we were concerned that Russ Andrews had presented insufficient evidence to support such strong claims in relation to the perceptible effect of mains-borne RFI......Because we had not seen sufficient, robust evidence to demonstrate the perceptible effect of mains-borne RFI on hi-fi and home cinema systems to the levels suggested by the ad, we concluded that the ad was likely to mislead.

Judgment

The expert went on to say the test also did not connect a protective conductor in the mains lead (i.e. the green or green/yellow insulated wire) which rendered any results unrepresentative of a device for which, in proper usage, a protective conductor would be connected......The expert also said the test terminated the DM operation of the PowerKords products with a purely resistive 50 Ohms at both source and load. He pointed out that such DM termination impedances were also unrealistic and that typical impedances typical of real-life applications could give different results..... lack of protective conductor and unrealistic termination impedances in the testing of DM RFI noise, the evidence we had seen was not sufficiently robust to demonstrate that the PowerKords products were effective in reducing mains-borne RFI. We concluded that the ad was likely to mislead.

Russ Andrew then went on to reword his advertisement and again there was a complaint against him and the verdict in 2014 was...read carefully..

We noted the ad included the text "What don't the plots show us. The plots show how the cables perform under test in laboratory conditions. Whilst we could infer that the same level of rejection occurs in a domestic environment (i.e. when the cables are plugged into a Hi-Fi or Home Cinema System) we are not claiming that they do. Similarly, the graphs do not prove that the rejection measured in the lab has a perceptible (i.e. audible) effect when the cables are used in a Hi-Fi or Home Cinema System".

AND

we considered that consumers would understand from the qualifying statement that the reference to the lab results did not necessarily mean that the same results would be achieved by consumers in the home

:lol::lol::lol:

Ambio, well all know you are a cable skeptic. Please stop starting new threads to reiterate your views every day. Instead maintain one thread. People who are interested can go read it.

Ambio, well all know you are a cable skeptic. Please stop starting new threads to reiterate your views every day. Instead maintain one thread. People who are interested can go read it.

Thanks. But I am not a cable skeptic.

What is the objective of this thread? I don't understand what you are trying to convey here, Ambio?

Cheers

What is the objective of this thread? I don't understand what you are trying to convey here, Ambio?

Cheers

Nothing much. It is just that not everyone is rich and I don't want them to make wrong decision buying cables to improve the sound when it has been proven many times over than the subjective preference of cable is based on emotional decision. For the price of the new cable you could buy a few original CDs which will help the musicians.

About 10 years ago the High End Industry was estimated about 2Billion. This doesn't apply to the people with too much money to spare. I am speaking to people with limited budget that don't get your priorities wrong.

Here Russ Andrews himself couldn't prove his claims.

I bought a Russ Andrews power cable once. The most noticable thing about it was that the plug did not fit the amplifier very well. I still have it, and I still use it, but, whatever my thoughts might have been twenty years ago, I now rate is as just another power cord --- that I happened to pay an absurd amount of money for.

I didn't know that any of these hifi wires had ever been challenged in court, anywhere in the world. Thanks for the news that they have.

The excellent news that the "hifi" industry can't always get away with its scams? Sounds good to me :)

Last edited:
For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back