Samsung is not stopping plasma production

agriz

Read the chat below.
I contacted Samsung technical department through Chat

You are connecting with LiveChat system. If it takes a few minute, Please Try again.
(Our web team will be with you soon.)
A member of our web team will be available soon. You are currently in position 2 - thank you for waiting. If your enquiry is concerning a purchased product, please have your product details, including serial number and date of purchase ready.
Welcome to Samsung Live Chat. How may I help you?
Mahesh . :
Hi
Saumya :
Samsung Namaskar! This is Saumya. How may I help you?
Saumya :
May I have your query please?
Mahesh . :
Plasma TV
Saumya :
New agent have been assigned. Please wait until the chat start.
Welcome to Samsung Live Chat. How may I help you?
Manish :
Samsung Namaskar, This is manish. How may I help you
Mahesh . :
I am planning to buy Plasma TV
Mahesh . :
But i heard Samsung has stopped producing plasma television
Mahesh . :
Is that true?
Manish :
Sure sir, I will help you in this regard
Mahesh . :
In that case, How can i get service for my plasma television if i buy one
Manish :
That is not true
Mahesh . :
I am planning to buy F8500 or 51H4900
Manish :
Samsung is making plasma TV
Mahesh . :
I think Samsung is not going to produce plasma from 2015
Manish :
No such information
Mahesh . :
We plan to continue our PDP TV business until the end of this year, due to changes in market demands. We remain committed to providing consumers with products that meet their needs, and will increase our focus on growth opportunities in UHD TV's and Curved TV's
Mahesh . :
Samsung to end plasma TV production this year - CNET
Mahesh . :
Everyone in internet saying this
Mahesh . :
Everyone is saying that it is official
Mahesh . :
please confirm
Manish :
Kindly stay online while I retrieve the required information. This may take up to one minute
Mahesh . :
Sure...
Manish :
Thank you for staying online. I appreciate your patience in this regard.solution is under
Manish :
Confirmed with my senior on this point
Mahesh . :
ok
Mahesh . :
What is the news?
Manish :
No information that Samsung is stopping plasma manufacture
Mahesh . :
:)

Plasma TV's were like 8 cylinder gas guzzling cars. They consumed a lot of power. Especially for the larger size TV's where they are seen most.
So in some places they have already stopped manufacturing them ( California I think). Maybe you can't even buy them there. All with the concept of 'Green Earth' in mind.

Maybe things have changed and plasma's have become more efficient than they used to be.
I just saw this old article which suggests just that.
California Bans Power-Hog TVs: Death Knell for Plasma? | TechHive

But read the newer article also:
Plasma vs LED: which TV tech is best? - PC Advisor

@ agriz from when agents in official chats get fillers of company's policy ? So these guys have access to board of directors? all they want is quick sales .

In fact I have seen dumb chat agents who are unaware of products or features !

where such decision takes place it is all of sudden for outside world . Policy decision are always last minute news and many times even mid to senior management is unaware OR they are in state of denial.

also understand the statement - " No information that Samsung is stopping plasma manufacture " what possibly happens in court of law ( if you have courage and patience) is it is interpreted as - The agent and his boss had no information .

Members anyone have another view?

also understand the statement - " No information that Samsung is stopping plasma manufacture " what possibly happens in court of law ( if you have courage and patience) is it is interpreted as - The agent and his boss had no information .

I guess you are right.
They don't have any information.

If Samsung stops producing plasma, If we get extended warranty, How long can samsung provide service to his customers? What do you think?

It is like asking a filmstar about their secret affair, obviously they will deny. What is the point in asking samsung if they will give the reply that "No such information". Such claims have no credible direction associated. Rather we should wait for insider news from someone working within samsung or may be some press conference reports on similar topics.

Plasma production will stop - if not this year, maybe the next. No one, apart from a few videophiles, buy plasma screens any more.

I guess you are right.

If Samsung stops producing plasma, If we get extended warranty, How long can samsung provide service to his customers? What do you think?

The fact that production in plasma will be stopped or will come down to a trickle is given. The question is when.

But for the more relevant issue is that if they have given you warranty they will have parts available (if not locally), till the warranty period. Post that like any other equipment you are on your own. Same is true even for LED TV's as they dont keep parts for ever.

So, to protect their reputation in the market, Samsung will have parts and will support you in the warranty period.

On the other hand, if you buy it from some other market like say, Bangkok, then support is zilch as they wont procure parts or in many cases may not have the model sold here.

I guess you are right.

Another way is to interpret warentee is is ( in many cases) if the company cannot repair / replace a part and make your item functional , it returns your amount or it may replace your plasma with equivalent / better LCD . Sometimes these things tactically mentioned in warentee statement This is a common norm in constantly changing computer products where replacement is easy to administer than repair / parts management / shipping.

Another way is to interpret warentee is is ( in many cases) if the company cannot repair / replace a part and make your item functional , it returns your amount or it may replace your plasma with equivalent / better LCD . Sometimes these things tactically mentioned in warentee statement This is a common norm in constantly changing computer products where replacement is easy to administer than repair / parts management / shipping.

I copied a story from facebook samsung page, unfortunately, it was deleted. It had some useful information.

That samsung user bought a laptop, a older model, which was stopped from samsung. He got a problem in few months and the product was unable to repair from samsung.

The options were, returning 55% of money or replacing a new i3 model. (he bought i5)
(Within a year it happened. He had extended warranty.)

Last edited:
Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back