Seeking advice of PC Audio Gurus - 5.1/7.1 card-cum-converter combo for bi/tri-amping

trittya

The PUNJAB (whats left of it) & Delhi, India
PC Audio Gurus' Advice- 5.1/7.1 card-cum-converter combo(Active XO) for bi/tri-amping

Howdy Gents!
In keeping with the thread title, here's the rundown . . .

*I have a reckon-able lossless music collection of about 750 GB (all FLAC/WAV/ALAC) , that I have painstakingly compiled over the past 6 months.:cool:

*I shall eventually be going in for a bi/tri-amplified speaker setup fed through an active 2/3 way XO and a parametric equalizer not to mention three stereo power amps (or maybe, later, a stereo amp/two substituted with 2/4 monoblock amps).:cool:

*I've been considering something a little better (especially in build quality and appearance) than a Behringer ULTRA-DRIVE PRO DCX2496.
Behringer: ULTRA-DRIVE PRO DCX2496
I might even consider getting the said alternative equipment/component custom-made.:rolleyes:

*Lately, I have learnt that Foobar 2000 has an active XO plug-in through which one can achieve bi/tri-amping through a 5.1/7.1 soundcard-cum-SPDIF converter combo.:cool::cool:
(Although, I am presently more a CD kind of guy but I guess getting a PC-based active XO makes a lot of sense since eventually one shall be forced to listen more to digital lossless formats.):sad:

*My present PC makes a lot of fan noise,:sad: therefore, therefore, I would like to make additional use of my netbook/laptop for active XO and/or DAC/soundcard, since I don't want to go in for another "super-silent HTPC" yet. I would rather put that money into my speaker projects.:cool:

*Therefore, I guess the soundcard will have to be an external one to be used in conjunction with something like this (to provide 6 channels for tri-amplification through 3 stereo power amps or say, later, 6 monoblock amps:licklips::rolleyes:)
ASUS - Multimedia- ASUS Xonar H6

*I am highly inclined towards buying an Asus Xonar product/combo for the aforesaid purpose, unless some knowledgeable FM can suggest something better at that price.:cool::cool:

*I would really love to buy an Asus Xonar Essence One:licklips: but its way out of my present budget at about 22K:sad:.

*Nevertheless, if nothing better is available/suggested, I guess I will have to go in for this (and hook it up to the Xonar H6 linked above, but that thingy already has an inbuilt DAC, NO?:confused::confused::confused:)
ASUS - Multimedia- ASUS Xonar Essence One

*Therefore, the way things stand as of now, I am looking for a DAC/soundcard-cum-converter (like the Asus Xonar H6 linked above). I guess even this one, to work outside a desktop PC, shall need a small casing to be fabricated which I do not see as much of a problem.

*The question is whether or not the Asus Xonar H6 can be used that way ie w/o propping it up in a desktop PC. If it cannot be used outside a desktop PC, what is the reason and what other options do I have?

*The various options from Asus other than the Xonar essence one are all internal (desktop based) soundcards save these two(wherein in the signal to noise ratio and other audiophile grade specs are nowhere as good as the Essence One [linked above] and its desktop counterpart, the Asus Xonar essence STX [internal sound-card cum headphone amp]).

ASUS - Multimedia- ASUS Xonar U1 Lite Audio Station
ASUS - Multimedia- ASUS Xonar U3

The other internal soundcard options are as under:-
ASUS - Multimedia- ASUS Xonar Essence STX
*These ones hereunder are said to be for gaming etc:indifferent14: with HDMI capability. I am neither a gamer nor a movie-freak but I can consider these only if there is no loss of SQ(in comparison to the Essence One and/or essence STX) and not much of an extra cost incurred :Dfor just the HDMI video/audio bits incorporated.
http://in.asus.com/Multimedia/Audio_Cards/Xonar_HDAV13_Deluxe/#specifications
ASUS - Multimedia- ASUS Xonar HDAV1.3
ASUS - Multimedia- ASUS Xonar Xense

Sorry about noobish queries above but then, there IS no gainsaying that one is actually one.:eek::p:D
Any help, correction(s) and advice shall be highly, well and truly appreciated.:):)
Eagerly looking forward to the same.:eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah:
Many thanks in earnest anticipation.

Cheerio, ALL.

Last edited:
Re: Seeking advice of PC Audio Gurus - 5.1/7.1 card-cum-converter combo for bi/tri-am

May be I don't understand your query well, but based on what I understood:

Many soundcards can play in "multi-stereo" mode. That is, they play the content on 2 main channels and then replicate the same on other pairs on secondary channels. Creative comes to mind. I'd much prefer to go with that method than to let a plugin mess with the signal doing a x-over.

Re: Seeking advice of PC Audio Gurus - 5.1/7.1 card-cum-converter combo for bi/tri-am

May be I don't understand your query well, but based on what I understood:

Many soundcards can play in "multi-stereo" mode. That is, they play the content on 2 main channels and then replicate the same on other pairs on secondary channels. Creative comes to mind. I'd much prefer to go with that method than to let a plugin mess with the signal doing a x-over.

@ FM Ranjeetrain
Thanks a lot for your response, mate. (You got the grain of it, let the chaff be).
My queries thereto . . .

Would there be a discernible degradation in the signal quality replicated on the other pairs?

To get three pairs of channels for tri-amping, one would still have to go in for a 7.1 card, RIGHT?

Can you suggest a contemporary external soundcard-cum-DAC from Creative with 7.1 analog out that does this multi-stereo thingy?

Many thanks, both in appreciation as well as anticipation, my friend.

Last edited:

Would there be a discernible degradation in the signal quality replicated on the other pairs?

None. They would be absolutely the same signals. It's a lossless software implementation.

To get three pairs of channels for tri-amping, one would still have to go in for a 7.1 card, RIGHT?

Yes. If not, you will need a preamp with three pairs of line out (extremely hard to find if not impossible).

Note: Each speaker will need to have its own x-ver.

Can you suggest a contemporary external soundcard-cum-DAC from Creative with 7.1 analog out that does this multi-stereo thingy?

Every multi-channel Creative card should do this. Take a look at Creative site. If you need to clarify on any specific card, I'll be happy to assist.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back