Seeking advice on upgrading, Marantz,Dali, KEF, Musical Fidelity

SloMo

Hey folks, so I've want to upgrade my system, but getting stuck. I have partial knowledge about these things, but we all know, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.
Let me lay it out.
My main device is a Thorens TD 160 record player.
I was running it through a 2nd hand Yamaha AX-397 and KEF 30 Crestas. It was ok, but the sound seemed kind of restrained, lacking vibrance or excitement. So I have just bought a Marantz PM 6007. It sounds better.
However: I also tried a 2nd hand Musical Fidelity x150. That sounded much better, a lot more vibrance and kick. I realize now its also 80watts, compared to 45w on the Marantz.
I've heard that watts don't necessarily matter, but also that the KEFs needs some serious amp behind them.
I've also been considering going for Dali Oberon 5s (my living room is about 4.5 meters square - a normal medium sized apartment room).
So: Should I go for the Marantz 6007 with the Dali Oberon 5s? Good combo?
Or: Return the Marantz (I think I lose 10% if I do that...) and then buy the Musical Fidelity (cost is $400 - seems like a lot for a 15 year old amp, but the sound was good).
-- and in that case could either keep the KEFs, get the Dali Oberon 5s, or somebody else is selling Dali Ikon 6 mkII for $700. (which I am so so on because they seem quite big for my room). The guy at the store also recommend Monitor Audio...

Thoughts? I don't really get how all of these things work together, how good an idea it is to buy used equipment, and how to get a nice lively, vibrant sound (comparing it to my brother in law's system, a Cambridge a81 with bookshelf Bowes and Wilkins, which sounded great.).

Also, one important thing to add: I tend to listen at low volume. Music is rock, jazz, folk.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back