Sell floorstanders and buy bookshelves?

Hi guys

Please give your valuable inputs.

I have a basic 5.1 Polk Audio setup in my bedroom. (Marantz 6013 avr)(Floorstanders polk audio rti a7 csi a4 elac surrounds) .(xtz 10.17)

Polk audio rti a7s have been discontinued and my father in law ever since he heard them has been a fan and always said whenever you feel the urge to upgrade do consider giving them to me.
I have heard ppl say that one should rather buy bookshelves instead of tower speakers if you have a subwoofer.
Since my knowledge is quite limited i never really utilised my speakers to their full potential(both in audio as well as video)
I have played movies on native amazon/netflix apps on my oled tv or firestick at max, so technically i have never had that full cinematic bluray experience at home.
I am planning to buy nvidea shield to alleviate my experience.

So my question is
1) is giving up on my tower speakers and buying good pair of bookshelves ( looking at polk audio reserve R200) be a good option for me? This is given the fact i never really used my speakers to their full potential.

2) will the overall loudness of my system take a hit as i have heard that tower speakers have higher Spl. My listening distance is approx 16 feet from my mains.

Thanks in advance

Suggest you go and audition the Polk R200s.

I have heard the Rti A7s, and from what I can glean from the reviews, the R200s seem to be better speakers.
But best that you audition first.

My view on FS in a 5.1 setup is a bit different from others here. I feel FS are a bit of a waste for movie watching. If you can afford FS, sure go for them. But will it make much of a difference for watching movies - I dont think so.

For stereo listening with an IA, I use FS.

To summarise, go listen to the R200s. I think you will find them to be better than your RTi.

And, you can make your FIL happy (and assume your wife too) by giving him the speakers :)

Suggest you go and audition the Polk R200s.

I have heard the Rti A7s, and from what I can glean from the reviews, the R200s seem to be better speakers.
But best that you audition first.

My view on FS in a 5.1 setup is a bit different from others here. I feel FS are a bit of a waste for movie watching. If you can afford FS, sure go for them. But will it make much of a difference for watching movies - I dont think so.

For stereo listening with an IA, I use FS.

To summarise, go listen to the R200s. I think you will find them to be better than your RTi.

And, you can make your FIL happy (and assume your wife too) by giving him the speakers :)
Hi
I could not audition the R200 because of its availability.
Many suggested here to not sell the floorstanders but frankly besides the bass i found them equally good for music as well movies.
As of now i am planning to calibrate my system and fine tune it to see whether i can buy something for my wife instead

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back