Sending things out to UK for repair

square_wave

Has anyone send anything out to the UK for minor repairs in the recent times ? Anything to watch out for in terms for shipping, customs etc ? My chord hugo battery has died and apparently it needs to shipped to them for replacement. A friend has the same issue so we are thinking of combining the shipment. Similar batteries are available online. I can get it done locally by someone who is skilled with soldering but that is an option if this gets complicated.

By weird custom rules, even if you send something out for repairs and on return the custom duty is again charged on repair bill plus insurance and shipping charges. This is the rule I can't say if this is always applied too. So keep this in mind and check online.

I would advise sending both together for repair and then request the factory to send the repaired units to a local UK address. As Vivek pointed out, the customs dept can and most probably will levy duty when the goods are shipped back to India and you will be asked for a lot of paperwork. Best to wait for someone to carry it back if you can wait else you should be prepared to pay customs duty even if you get the Chord factory to send a disclaimer regarding goods being under warranty for repair..

Has anyone send anything out to the UK for minor repairs in the recent times ? Anything to watch out for in terms for shipping, customs etc ? My chord hugo battery has died and apparently it needs to shipped to them for replacement. A friend has the same issue so we are thinking of combining the shipment. Similar batteries are available online. I can get it done locally by someone who is skilled with soldering but that is an option if this gets complicated.
The battery replacement is not very difficult for the Mojo and can be done with beginner DIY skills.. not sure of the Hugo though .

as per this looks like it has 2 batteries

Chord_Hugo-Print.png

Last edited:
The battery replacement is not very difficult for the Mojo and can be done with beginner DIY skills.. not sure of the Hugo though .

as per this looks like it has 2 batteries
Chord_Hugo-Print.png
Yes. Getting the right batteries and soldering to the board is what need to be done. From what I heard the soldering is a bit tricky on this one. I am sure it can be done ( with some help from peeps who are handy with the gun ) if I can get the right battery. Checking on it now.

If you can, I would avoid having to deal with the customs, too many horror stories since the lockdown (including mine). Find a competent tech who's worked on high-end gear, would be my advice.

One of my friend recently got his Chord Mojo battery bought, replaced and soldered through local dealer in Mumbai. I am also thinking to go the same route as Chord has stopped providing support for Chord Mojo batteries. Anyone had similar experiences?

By weird custom rules, even if you send something out for repairs and on return the custom duty is again charged on repair bill plus insurance and shipping charges. This is the rule I can't say if this is always applied too. So keep this in mind and check online.
Very true Vivek, totally weird and beyond anybody's comprehension.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back