Separate network for streaming

AmK

Below post is with regards to streaming Tidal, but I assume it would apply to streaming local files also. Thought it might be interesting to those looking to tweak their streaming sound quality.

I have two ISPs (MTNL and Jio), so I decided to make 2 separate networks in my house. We have CAT6 wiring distributed to all rooms and components.

Network 1 (for regular use i.e. browsing etc.): MNTL modem/router -> switch1 -> printer, laptops, tvs, desktops etc.

Network 2 (for the hifi system): Jio modem/router -> switch2 -> streamer, and, to the wireless-access-point in the music room (for ipad connectivity to control the streamer)

Switch1 and Switch2 are not connected to each other. So both the networks are totally independent and separate.

By doing this, I was able to perceive an appreciable improvement in sound quality from Tidal. Less grain. More clarity and calmness to the sound.

------------
Did listening on many songs from my Tidal favourites list, as I am quite familiar with the nuances in these recordings.

Particularly, these 2 tracks from Serena Spedicato are truly great recordings. One has lots of instruments and soundstage. The other is more intimate with vocals and a couple of instruments.

--------------
This was just a random and non-scientific experiment. I did this a couple of times, and both times I found an improvement (but did not do a direct A/B comparison). There could be many reasons for this (including placebo effect), but i'm staying with 2 separate networks! One dedicated for the hifi.

It really does not cost much to have 2 ISPs and two network switches, in the grand scheme of hifi expenses.

A lot depends on the type of connection (Copper/Fibre), latency (should be less than 10ms to the nearest ISP node), and throughput of the WiF Router (in case of a wireless network). I am using Airtel Fibre (200 Mbps Up/Dn) with ASUS RT-AC68U and it is working like a charm, I can easily stream 4K along with my work and never faced any issues.

I have 150mbps internet connection modem and its placed near the TV. Wanted to know if there is a switch/router devices which can be used for internet connection to work in better speed in other 2 rooms where i have AVR, PC and soundbar.

I have 150mbps internet connection modem and its placed near the TV. Wanted to know if there is a switch/router devices which can be used for internet connection to work in better speed in other 2 rooms where i have AVR, PC and soundbar.
You can go with ASUS RT-86U (going real cheap on Amazon), it can easily cover a 1500/1800 sq. feet house over Wi-Fi.

How is it compared to netgear orbi which was suggested in another thread? Looking for one time investment and forget about the poor signal. Thanks for your time
Although I have not personally used Netgear Orbi, they should do the trick as well. Asus (Linksys WRT is a different story) leads the charge in the domestic segment because of its stability, security (Integrated TrenMicro Engine), and the flexibility to use custom firmware. The Orbi is 'Plug n Play' where Asus offers enterprise-grade customization.

Coming back to the original post, you are trying to say Tidal performs better when it is not shared and has a dedicated connection. in this case it can be JIO or MTNL. All streams have buffers at ever level, since all this is digital it shouldn’t be different unless it is getting streamed in different bandwidth. Best is to do blind test for verifying this logic. One another thing that can contribute is the internet exchange, both ISPs are big they will have exchanges directly with google, Microsoft, AWS etc as more and more services are from cloud now a days. Next are the components in between that can inject some unwanted back currents and humms that can hit the player when wired directly. Else I don’t see anything that should effect your quality but interesting.

Although I have not personally used Netgear Orbi, they should do the trick as well. Asus (Linksys WRT is a different story) leads the charge in the domestic segment because of its stability, security (Integrated TrenMicro Engine), and the flexibility to use custom firmware. The Orbi is 'Plug n Play' where Asus offers enterprise-grade customization.

Thanks for your response, deciding to go with Netgear Orbi RBK53.

Back