Settings for Epson TW7100 for Best Quality Movie Exp.

pkv

Hello All,

After a long wait and research I picked up Epson TW7100. It has been a day and I am not happy with overall image in terms of saturations, colors and I have been trying to do lots of tweaks in settings to overcome it. My setup includes Denon AVR X1500h, Nvidia Shield Pro, 120 inch normal screen on which Epson is projecting from distance of 15 feet.
Here are some of the problems i see.
1. When source movie is 4K HDR (Tried Avatar, Black Adams, Avatar way of water), colors looks quite artificial like greens are too greens, blues are too blue... Its far far far away from theater quality. Tried working with color saturation, Gamma and what not... Some scenes looks good and some scenes are pretty bad (To my taste even though i was using pretty old NEC XGA res projector earlier). In Black Adam some scenes were showing too black ( I reduced HDR levels to 1 to make it little brighter But its not practical to do changes with scenes by scenes or a movie by movie)..

2. When movie source is YouTube (Full HD), images looks too soft and not at all punchy. Apart from that some of the scenes/songs its too Reddish.. I have set NVidia shield to do AI enhancement upscaling with Highest details.

3. If source is Dolby Vision (Kodi + Ezra has a lots of it), image becomes completely washed out and reddish and its unwatchable actually.. I believe this projector does not support Dolby vision.

4. Do we need to do any color calibration ? Installation guy just installed and set it to Cinema mode and said its works great in this mode and can be changed to other modes for better brightness...

I also set Denon 4K signal to Enhance mode mode. Tried playing around with almost every settings and but unable to find a setting which works great across all the scenes and source.
I read immense praise about this and 9400 model and this model, I was expecting a lot but its let down.. I tried Apple TV 4K as well and was not happy with that output..

With so much of deep expertise of forum members, I am looking to tweak the settings to get the best theater quality picture experience from this Projector.
Experts, may you Please share your settings of projector and source settings (nVIDIA shield, Apple TV, AVR) for different type of movie sources (4K , 4K HDR, Full HD).

Thank you in advance for your attention and read..

3. If source is Dolby Vision (Kodi + Ezra has a lots of it), image becomes completely washed out and reddish and its unwatchable actually.. I believe this projector does not support Dolby vision.
Yes, DV unsupported devices will display the content in red/pink color.

Sorry, i couldnt give more valuable input. Commented since Im aware of it. But I am going to follow this thread, it will probably help me in future.

Yes, HDR is not that great in 7100 but it's not that bad.... I disable HDR option in Nvidia shield if the picture looks dull. Also I always use with Bright cinema mode and haven't changed much to any setting. And try replacing your HDMI cable and see if it helps,

Yes, DV unsupported devices will display the content in red/pink color.

Sorry, i couldnt give more valuable input. Commented since Im aware of it. But I am going to follow this thread, it will probably help me in future.
Before posting a new thread, I did search in forum and across everywhere else but I was very surprised on no article/inputs on this. I thought this is something very generic and many people would be looking forward to this..

Yes, HDR is not that great in 7100 but it's not that bad.... I disable HDR option in Nvidia shield if the picture looks dull. Also I always use with Bright cinema mode and haven't changed much to any setting. And try replacing your HDMI cable and see if it helps,
I would try with disabling HDR option in Shield but that would mean that any movie with 4K HDR from Kodi will not show up in HDR right ?
I am using 10.5 meters of HDMI cable below. This supports 2160p at 30 Hz only while Shield shows up 2160 at 60 Hz..
Will that make a difference ?
In bright cinema mode some scenes looks good but its becomes too white for Full HD videos and colors reproduction and shades take a back sheet..

Hello All,

After a long wait and research I picked up Epson TW7100. It has been a day and I am not happy with overall image in terms of saturations, colors and I have been trying to do lots of tweaks in settings to overcome it. My setup includes Denon AVR X1500h, Nvidia Shield Pro, 120 inch normal screen on which Epson is projecting from distance of 15 feet.
1. When source movie is 4K HDR (Tried Avatar, Black Adams, Avatar way of water), colors looks quite artificial like greens are too greens, blues are too blue... Its far far far away from theater quality. Tried working with color saturation, Gamma and what not... Some scenes looks good and some scenes are pretty bad (To my taste even though i was using pretty old NEC XGA res projector earlier). In Black Adam some scenes were showing too black ( I reduced HDR levels to 1 to make it little brighter But its not practical to do changes with scenes by scenes or a movie by movie)..

2. When movie source is YouTube (Full HD), images looks too soft and not at all punchy. Apart from that some of the scenes/songs its too Reddish.. I have set NVidia shield to do AI enhancement upscaling with Highest details.

4. Do we need to do any color calibration ? Installation guy just installed and set it to Cinema mode and said its works great in this mode and can be changed to other modes for better brightness...

I also set Denon 4K signal to Enhance mode mode. Tried playing around with almost every settings and but unable to find a setting which works great across all the scenes and source.
I read immense praise about this and 9400 model and this model, I was expecting a lot but its let down.. I tried Apple TV 4K as well and was not happy with that output..

With so much of deep expertise of forum members, I am looking to tweak the settings to get the best theater quality picture experience from this Projector.
Experts, may you Please share your settings of projector and source settings (nVIDIA shield, Apple TV, AVR) for different type of movie sources (4K , 4K HDR, Full HD).

You can get your projector calibrated to see correct colors as intended by the director.

Hello All,

You have to use it for a month atleast before you start questioning it's performance. Electronics need break-in period.

As you have mentioned everything looks unnatural and less sharp, that is common of any kind of brand new projector/tv/monitor. Over the time it will perform better and probably twice good as it is performing now. The sharpness, brightness, contrast, colors will be settled down after 50-100 hours of usage.

You should be already experiencing improvement in picture quality as it's been a week.

You have to use it for a month atleast before you start questioning it's performance. Electronics need break-in period.

As you have mentioned everything looks unnatural and less sharp, that is common of any kind of brand new projector/tv/monitor. Over the time it will perform better and probably twice good as it is performing now. The sharpness, brightness, contrast, colors will be settled down after 50-100 hours of usage.

You should be already experiencing improvement in picture quality as it's been a week.
You are absolutely right. I can already started to see notice differences, but I also tweaked some settings. I thought my eyes are getting used to this projector...:).. By now I am quite satisfied with my choice..

You are absolutely right. I can already started to see notice differences, but I also tweaked some settings. I thought my eyes are getting used to this projector...:).. By now I am quite satisfied with my choice..
My new setup is like yours Nvidia shield, denon x 2600h and epson 7100 and I am facing same problem .. please tell me which settings you have done .. advance thank you

Am using pc output to tw7100pj and noting tat full screen is not in focus! if i focus center area image corners going blur and if i focus more to c corners/texts then middle portion goes blur! ( like mild bokeh/dof effect in mob) is it common or should i need to change anything? right now projecting on wall in 12ft distance! any help or suggestions? rest all looks too good to me! cols/ pic quality and all am happy! oly missing tat full screen focusing. any idea?

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back